Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H bar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a PA 12 and sometimes like to stand to relieve my back from hours of sitting, in lakes and slow rivers. I am not real comfortable standing and casting because I feel like I could fall out or tip anytime. How does the H bar perform standing and casting in smooth water and is it worth the money? Does anybody have a personal mod that may fit my needs?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: H bar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried an H Bar but decided it was not for me. I primarily stand to cast a fly and the Mirage drive sits where my line lays. I considered making a cover for the drive but that seemed too complicated.
I will say that standing with it was comfortable in calm waters and I would recommend it for spin casting.

View another thread where the fellow said he grabbed it while going overboard and turtled the boat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I read that post and that is why I am having second thoughts about having one. It seems like the perfect place to grab as you are falling.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a PA-14 and can stand up w/o the H bar...at 71 my balance is marginal at best, but I know the longer hull of my kayak makes it more stable than the PA-12.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm 71 also and have limited balance too. Maybe I need more practice standing. How long did it take you to feel comfortable?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If the area under your seat is clear you can flip the seat up and lean back against the seat back. It gives you that little bit of comfort.
You 2 are children!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's a great help insofar as being able to grab it to get yourself up and down. Very worthwhile in that regard. It also gives you something to steady yourself with while standing. I find it a definite plus on my PA.

Now do be aware that it doesn't make the PA more stable. If you start to fall and you grab it, you've got hold of a "lever" that will now make it rather easy to capsize your boat.

It's a leaning post (a good one), nothing more. Just be aware of that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The inside spacing where I stand is 34".....I stared windsurfing in 1976 and my original board is 24" wide....so I am still reasonably comfortable standing in the PA-14.....word to the wise, keep your feet apart AND bend your knees a little so you can quickly adjust to a sudden rocking side to side motion.
I think I read on an older post where one of the guys added a rope/line ahead of the mirage drive, on the sailing mast bulkhead so he could use the rope to help pull himself up for better stability....so keep your feet apart...wide stance and bend your knees.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm 72 and have no problem standing or getting up out of the PA Vantage seat. At this age it seems some folks have a more difficult time of getting it up than others :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since you have the PA12, that means you have the Vantage seat and those armrests are helpful in standing up from a seated position. When I purchased the 2012 PA14, I gave some serious consideration to getting the H-Bar. To stand up from the old style seat, I would just grab ahold of the Mirage drive pedal to help pull myself up. I thought getting the H-Bar would be handy in standing up. A second thought was to use a piece of rope with one of those "T" handles (like a lawn mower pull cord) and use that to pull myself up. Not a big person...only 180 pounds and 5'9".

I ended up not getting the H-Bar and when I got the 2013 PA14 with the Vantage seat, it proved easier to stand up with. I don't like a lot of clutter and felt the H-Bar added more clutter (for me). I would agree with what has been mentioned that if you lose your balance and grab the H-Bar to save you from going over, you will probably roll the PA. I have no problem keeping my balance and casting with spinning rods.

You have a great question, but it's one that has to be determined by each of our abilities to balance, ease in getting up from a sitting position and whether it would improve our particular style of fishing. It's a great accessory for those that need it.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I added an H-Bar to my 2013 PA14 right away, but didn't really try it until a couple of weeks ago. I'm a big guy, with very bad knees - standing up from the kayak seat is very difficult for me. The H-Bar made standing surprisingly easy. However, once I was standing I didn't feel especially comfortable (in the balance sense). Being a big guy, my center of gravity is perhaps somewhat higher, making the boat feel less stable.

Of course, I find it remarkably easy to fall over when standing on my level garage floor, too. It's possible I'm just a clumsy oaf.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an old style 14 and enjoy not having an h bar. It would constantly get in the way while fishing. I imagine the 12 isn't as stable as a 14 so it's your call..just don't grab the bar if you happen to start tipping! Also, make sure to tie a rope to one of your PA arms so you can tip your PA back over if you happen to roll it. It's next to impossible to roll it back over without a rope! You may even want to practice rolling and getting back inside.

Another fishing option I've used is to turn around and kneel on the seat. It is actually fairly comfortable. I spend more time standing and fishing than anything else. As mentioned in another post the mirage drive can be a pain in the rear with tangled flyline but it's fine with spinning rod. My PA14 is so stable I have spent time standing on the rear platform or had a 2nd fisherman on the back....another reason I picked a 14 over a 12!