Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: righting the monster
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wanted to get some dialogue and or ideas. I have had the 21se for three seasons and we sail pretty aggresively on lakes here in the northeast. I flipped the boat first season and have not since. I needed help from other boaters to right it. Any one have simple ideas on how to be better prepared should we go over again. Thanks Ted

Post subject: Re: righting the monster
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have shroud extenders that work well. You will need to shorten your shrouds to install these. This will be a good time to buy new shrouds and keep your old ones as spares.

I had Don at Salty Dog Marine make me these shorten shrouds and supply the extenders. He does great work and he will know just what you need. :)

The problem with using these extenders is the mast becomes a little unstable, so practice in a calm environment with your crew so everyone knows what to do and how fast to do it.

You don't want to learn this exercise in high winds and white caps.... :o

You may want to also install several swimming noodles under your wing tramp to aid in floatation. I am not sure this will help much, but you won't loose a wing this way.

Order a extra large righting bag from Colorado Bag Co. and build a purchase to help pull that big bag out of the water. This may be be you least expense alternative to the shroud extenders and that mast won't fell squirrelly...........

I have not flipped my 21SE in at least a decade plus....be careful how and where you land as the boat rolls over.

The boat is 13' 11" from outside of each wing and it is a long way to fall.

My buddy Dave Lane would somehow scurry around my boat and never get wet as the boat rolled over.

How he did that I will never know........as I was being tossed like a rag doll........ :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info Bill I like the idea of the shroud extenders. I am sure if we were going to tip it it would be blowing so it should be a little easyer to right. I saw the video of the two guys trapped out when 21se went over. They both hit the boom and it looked like it hurt bad! Their mast got stuck in the mud and I think he was looking for a new mast so he might have broke something.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well we were up to the lake last weekend and we tipped boat on its side to try and right it.
Without the sails and no wind me 191 lbs, and friend 230 lbs she came right over. Second try me still 191 lbs and my daughter somewhere around 140 no luck we couldnt even get mast out of water. So with sails and heavy crew it shouldnt be too bad? I think I will purchase water bag just in case!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I installed a righting pole from an old windsurfing mast, goose neck from a bicycle, rope and cleats. I have not had the joy of using it, but with the leverage vs. just righting ropes should work easily. I always carry a righting bag for added leverage if needed.

Here is a video of a 21SE being righted by a single person with a righting pole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4adNW6tSk8A

I have posted pictures of my device in posts probably 5-7 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll be making one of those !!

As per the suggestion for making the wings FLOAT ; i'll be placing
a pin that holds them secure so they can NOT slide out of the
mounting holes ; or is that a BAD idea ?

Bille

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The wing needs to be tied down so the spinnaker sheet won't pull it up anyway. I tie mine down to the rudder pin with a line that also serves as an anti-sheet fouling line for the back end of the wing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is the post that we had years ago and shows a couple of ways to mount a righting pole. Good luck.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=35871&p=145513&hilit=righting#p145513