Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

robster wrote:
hello kinghong1970
sorry to hijack your thread but...
I am planning to get me a pro angler 12 to use next summer, my only concern is my height. im 5´6" so if you dont have any problems i should be safe i hope. To demo one would be the best but i got 405 miles to the nearest hobiedealer :cry:

As you did i am planning to cartop it, but on a volvo v70. It isnt that tall, but reading your experience i might need to reconsider.

Edit: to clearify my concerns about my height. Will i at 5'6" be able to reach and use the mirage drive efficiently?

@robster, no worries bro... hijack away!
and yes, if a 5'4" can pedal away... so can you!
even my 9 year old did it... of course, sitting at the edge of the seat...

btw, dunno where you are but some places display the yaks and you can sit in and see how it feels, reach etc...
have to admit... did take some getting used to... for some reason, when you associate pedal to feet, you're automatically thinking bicycling... not back and forth... but dang, was a lot of fun for all...

@rmi63,
thanks for sharing that pic...
i guess i went with the wrong rack...

see, my yakima cross bars and hully roller position lands right where the cross bars meet the factory roof rails on my FJ and so the rear section of the boat, the hully roller does nothing to stabilize it in the middle.

your rack system attaches to the middle of your roof cross bars, freeing up enough room right and left of the upper cross and hence, keeping the boat in the middle.

i've ordered a yakima drydock and going to try it out again to roof top it... and if all else fails, then i'll resort to trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A slow day in national guard it must have been , looking real sharp. You have plenty of space left inside of that support lattice to mount some storage units.

I extended my tongue with similar telescoping design, san the mig welding.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's a link to a thread regarding the same SUV & PA14........

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/show ... 4-on-a-SUV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bad link....banned my ip address....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
Bad link....banned my ip address....

Sorry, works on my end......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nvydvrdude.

I haven't notice any issues at all. Doing 65-70mph with no problems. The only thing I can say is that when I went off road it was bouncing. So I'm going to take some of the leaf springs to soften it up.

R11-

lol I'm active duty no national guard. What do you recommend for storage units?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi kinghong,

Thought you may be interested in my car topping solution - even though I have a Tandem Island, our challenges are the same - a kayak the size and weight of a mini battleship. :wink: In fact the similarities don't end there - your FJ Cruiser is the basically the same as my Toyota Prado.
I do not have the option of a trailer because I normally tow a camper trailer so the TI has to go on the roof of my 4WD.

If you don't have that constraint, I would agree with most people in this thread re a trailer - it's definitely the best option. Particularly if you can also have a box in which you can store all of your gear.

You can see my build up of the hoisting solution here and the video shows it in action.
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=48233

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgO0_V74NQ&feature=share&list=PL5B830EBAB3DAB176[/youtube]

Regards,
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ian,

damn! that's is very creative!

love the rig you did for storage as well.

as for the whole A frame crane on top of a car... it's a great idea... but i think i'm still a bit too committed to the Yakima Dry Dock and roof rack solution... i'll see how it goes.

Drydock should be here tomorrow... Hitch install on monday.

thanks!

Al

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

P14WD,

Just gotta shake my head and wonder why you just didn't go buy a trailer. Some folks just have to much time on their hands :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Kinghong,
Good luck on your set up.

Hi Islandspeed,
Here in Australia I am not permitted to have a car towing a caravan and have a boat trailer hitched onto the back of the caravan.
That's called a road train and even the trucks are only allowed to drive in certain outback regions.

Even if it was permitted, it would a be a nightmare to reverse park. :D

Regards,
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ian,
You da man!
Your design has to be the best one I have seen that not over came the height issue, but weight and the bulk of the kayak.
This is a 5 star solution 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not a tall guy, 5-11, but my Jeep Commander is extremely tall. I went through 2 failed setups before settling on one that works like a charm.

First I tried the Yakima Mako/Hully Roller setup and it didn't work out. The rollers would bind up on themselves and the metal frame bent. A lot of that was due to my factory cross bars and the need to use their Universal Mighty Mounts. I also didn't like how little contact area there was between the rollers and the hull for extended trips.

Next up was the Thule Glide and Set 883 system. The gliding pads were extremely weak and flimsy. The weight of the boat would slide right off those pivoting flexible pads. I definitely wasn't comfortable trying to guide my Pro Angler overhead using this system as it was nearly impossible to keep the boat straight.

I finally settled on rigging up something myself. I used some U-bolts and wing nuts to attach two lengths of 2.5" diameter UV resistant PVC to my cross bars. The boat slides up easily, and stays straight. The scupper grooves ride the PVC rails and do not allow the boat to drift off of them. I also feel it supports the boat better due the bigger area of contact with the hull. Being super low profile also plays nice with clearance to my garage. And at $15 you can't really beat it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Why the PVC pipe on the middle of the trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are two pipes that "cradle the hull"......they bend and take the shape of the hull to support it.