Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull deformation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I car top my PA12 and have acquired some slight hull deformation from leaving the boat on top of the vehicle on warm days when I planned on fishing more than one day. There are slight depressions where it rests on the mako saddles. What is the best way to remove these? Hair dryer and positive pressure inside the hull? Any help would be appreciated as always. :idea:

Post subject: Re: Hull deformation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trying to use positive pressure is next to impossible due to the front hatch, but turning the hull upside down.....bottom up in the sun......slight/minor depressions should disappear.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use a heat gun applied sparingly. If the dent is in a spot accessible from a hatch, I push out from there. You may have to remove some foam blocks. If I can't reach the dent from the inside, I use these, They come in a couple different sizes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/suction-cup-with-quick-release-46900.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
Trying to use positive pressure is next to impossible due to the front hatch, but turning the hull upside down.....bottom up in the sun......slight/minor depressions should disappear.

2X always try this first... Most of the time is works very well... Good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had 4 mako shark saddles on my post WWll 1/4 ton Bantam trailer for my 14' PA but added another 2 mako shark saddles for a total of six after I was getting dents in the hull from the saddles, even after added two more saddles I was still getting dents so I took all the saddles off and used 4" black ABS pipe. I store the PA on the trailer in a closed storage facility that gets hot during the summer. Eventually all the dents have gone away from the hot weather since I changed to the 4" pipe cradles.
When the PA is in storage the tie downs are removed and the PA is just resting on the 4" pipes (I did the same when I used the Mako saddles). I also had problems with the Mako saddles collapsing because of the PA's weight and the pressure of the tie down straps. I contacted Yakima and they said they PA's are too heavy for the Mako saddles even though there were no weight limits on the packaging anywhere. I also had problems with the Mako saddles sliding out from under the PA leaving the hull resting on the cross pipes, I added thick foam under the hull so the hull would not make contact with cross pipes. In my opinion the Mako shark saddles are not suitable for the PA's. I used 4" pipe so I could get my hand inside the pipe to tighten the U bolts used to hold the pipe in place and also because it gets the hull up and away from the cross pipes. I have had the pipes on for a year or two and no problems even with towing the trailer down rough 4x4 roads.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

atavuss, thanks for the heads up on the mako racks. I was just looking into them. Right now I just have hobie surf pads on my factory crossbars for my Tahoe and it seems to be doing fine, but I wanted something more supportive for an upcoming 8hour trip. I guess i'll save my money and start designing my own setup with pvc rails.