Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast rake
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt/others
I set my boat up with 16 inches of rake as the measured difference from the the bridle screw to the lower corner (just below the drain plug) of the transom.
The result was an extreemly loose rig that when block to block did not sheet in as tight as I would have liked.
A couple of questions. Have I measured the rake correctly?, are my side stays too long?, and which hole do you put the sidestays and foresay into on the mast tang (currently in the lower)
For our races last night I pulled it forward 3 inches and raced that way. Wind was 20 mph with gusts to 25 mph. I was sailing lower (5 degrees or so) than the other 16s but was always under control ( no "hobby horseing"). Trying to sail higher the rudders stalled and I lost all boat speed.
I know its a matter of tuning this boat in but, am I missing something?

Thanks in advance
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:31 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I have my side shrouds in the 3rd hold from the bottom. I believe I was running 14 or 15 inches of mast rake. While the boat is on the beach sheet the main block and make sure you are not block to block, I like for there to be about 1 inch between the 2 block, when your on the water you will be able to get that inch out! I am assuming that you are using low profile blocks, do not use a shackle on the bottom, instead simply pin the block directly to the traveler car. This is the set up I used on a 2004 boat, as long as your boat is relatively new the same set up should work for you as well. Feel free to ask any more questions!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard/Hunter Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:49 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi John,

I've been running my shrouds in the 3rd hole from the bottom, too - but I have a 1998 boat and a brand new jib (cut differently since 2000 to allow more mast rake).

How old are the sails? (I know the boat's an '84). The jib could be your limiting factor. There are a few tricks to get more rake with an older jib (pin the tack through the adjuster (not on the bow of the shackle), raise the tack on the adjuster, run the clew shackle through two holes on the clew plate (bow through one and the pin through another) and hang the blocks from the sides of the shackle).

In that kind of breeze on Austin Lake (no real waves to speak of), I'd be travelled off maybe 6" - 8" on the main and probably 1/4 of the way out on the jib (to keep from backwinding the main and counterrotating the mast). Play the main traveller in the gusts (works best if the crew can do it). Double trap, weight forward to keep the bow down.

What's your helm like? Rudders aligned & raked properly?

Lots of mast rake will bring out the rudder gremlins in a hurry. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Guys,
The sails are 85 sails but hardly used at all and even then in light air. I have the sidestays in the very bottom hole and it is very loose.
I f you are in the third hole from the bottom, it makes me think that perhaps i'm not measuring the rake correctly(see previous post).
Are you using the swivel fitting that connects the hull anchor to the adjusting plate for the sidestays? some folks don't and if this is the case that may explain the difference.
Laura and I may have been too far back also, even in the gusts all I had to do was ease the mainsheet 2 inches or so and feather up. we were never really even close to putting the hull under. Then again all we sailed was course 2's so no true reaches.
Just trying to brainstorm, any additioal comments would be appreciated.
Matt - did you ever sell your 17?

Thanks,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

MBounds wrote:
What's your helm like? Rudders aligned & raked properly?

Hey bro, speaking of alignment... I posted in the help forum about aligning rudders but I haven't gotten any response. You've been quite helpful in the past, I was curious if you had any further advice?

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=752

Thanks! 8)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Okay, now that I've been out under more wind, I've got another mast rake question:

I've got the forestay in the third-from-the-top hole and it is *tight* in there. (I'd put it higher but then where would the jib go?)

Anyway, in heavier wind, with me sitting on the back corner of the tramp and my friend right behind me standing on the hull, we'd almost pitchpole when the wind gusted up. I mean the leeward bow was barely out of the water. That seems kinda strange when we weren't even flying the hull, just heeled over some. Do you think it's because the mast is too far foreward? And if so, how to move it farther back, except with a longer forestay?

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Hull #3404
Sail #3403