Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a livewell so I can't put it through my rear scuppers, and I tried putting it on my anchor trolley, but it just stretches and the WaNG lays flat in the water, and then my anchor trolley broke! Any suggestions on mounting it s I can use the thing? I own a 2013 Pa 14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is a Wang SOP?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bucsfanatic59 wrote:
I use a livewell so I can't put it through my rear scuppers, and I tried putting it on my anchor trolley, but it just stretches and the WaNG lays flat in the water, and then my anchor trolley broke! Any suggestions on mounting it s I can use the thing? I own a 2013 Pa 14

I have a 6 foot Wang Stake Out Pole (SOP) and understand where you are coming from. It's been my experience that an anchor trolley is better suited for an anchor versus trying to get a SOP to stay in place. The scupper holes do provide the best avenue for inserting the SOP since you're using that length of internal tubing in the scupper to hold the SOP vertical.

I can see how having the livewell in the rear would reduce you to the front scuppers and depending on the water depth, the pole would definitely get in the way. My thought would be to come up with a small PVC tube or something similar that you could mount to one of the side rails near the rear to use as a SOP holder. That way it would be slightly behind you and not in the way.

Scotty makes a rod holder that is basically a tube that comes in a rail mount that might work. It might be worth looking into or making something similar. Good luck!

Scotty example: http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equi ... 20copy.jpg

The Wang SOPs are very nice and I really like mine.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Last edited by SRAces on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

JollyOgre wrote:
What is a Wang SOP?

It's a stake out pole, (sop). Wang is the model name.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would never put a SOP through a scupper. I know Hobie has reinforced the scuppers but ...... I use an anchor trolley and simply clip my SOP onto the trolley. I have a 4 ft piece of cord between the SOP and the trolley clip. If I want it shorter, I simply put a loop knot in the cord.

For storage, I lay the SOP along the side with one end on the outside of my rear Hobie rod holders, lay the length of the SOP on the inside of the rail, and put the top part of the pole on the outside of my fishfinder which is mounted on the front side boards.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use my anchor trolley to hold my 8' ParknPole without issue. Another option that YakAttack just released is the Zooka Tube. Here is a video of how it could be used ...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gja5EZPFsc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also use an 8' Park and Pole with my Anchor Trolley. Not one Problem, I do however keep the PNP on a leash and attach the leash to the anchor Trolley.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The few times I have used the scuppers are when I was in water without a current. So no worries on applying too much stress on the scupper holes. The only scupper holes I would use are the re-enforced ones for the cart. I am looking at getting a pair of those Zooka tubes for the 2013 PA14 and using my current rod holders on the 2012 PA14. Using one of them as a Stake Out Pole holder might be an option.

It sounds like others have had better success using a SOP in the anchor trolley than I have. I'm sure a lot of it depends on the conditions and type of bottom you are trying to secure the SOP into.

Thanks for providing that Zooka Tube video. Sold me on getting a pair of them. :D :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

[code][/code]
SRAces wrote:
The few times I have used the scuppers are when I was in water without a current. So no worries on applying too much stress on the scupper holes. The only scupper holes I would use are the re-enforced ones for the cart. I am looking at getting a pair of those Zooka tubes for the 2013 PA14 and using my current rod holders on the 2012 PA14. Using one of them as a Stake Out Pole holder might be an option.

It sounds like others have had better success using a SOP in the anchor trolley than I have. I'm sure a lot of it depends on the conditions and type of bottom you are trying to secure the SOP into.

Thanks for providing that Zooka Tube video. Sold me on getting a pair of them. :D :D

Good deal! I am thinking of getting a couple my self. Luther did a seminar at Mariner Sails a few weeks back and ever since he showed us that extra use of the zooka tube I can't get them off my mind. I will be selling off my current holders to upgrade. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I attach mine to my trolley but if you don't like that you could just make a loop with a cord on your side rails and stake the pole down through the loop.