Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback upgrade wishes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wish they would add the tackle storage hatch and transducer molded mount, like on the PA model, on the Outback model.
Anyone else wish this?

I am considering downsizing from my PA 14 and would tomorrow if these were added to the Outback.

ON EDIT:
And also...I really like the first model PA seats. A smaller version for the Outback would be unreal IMHO. :)

Salt: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeb5zOGDfoKlEPsMK5GBUOge_Qz5u2koH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can't please everyone. For example, I'd Upgrade to the Outback IF: 1. It were a bit lighter, and 2. the bow and hatch area were convex like the Revo so it didnt funnel water into the hatch area and cockpit when paddling out through surf.

But I agree with you on the desire for a molded-in Transducer receptacle.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

well the 2014 specs are out and the outback is now lowrance transducer ready...as well they have pre-drilled the holes for wiring on either side of the outback in the cut out area's...plugged with the standard hobie screw in plug...neat and clean and functional....can anyone tell me if the ff is in the way for fishing being on the side of the kayak as opposed to around the sail mast area

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I mounded my Humminbird display head on a Ram 1" ball mount just aft of the rudder down handle...just make sure you have enough clearance to grab the handle.
The ball mount easily adjusts to suit your viewing angle or move foreword and down for entry/exit access of the kayak.....it worked very well for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

agreed that it would work there, but for fishing is it in the way of your rod when you are fighting a fish or casting or jigging...i'm thinking i'd mount mine on the right side since I seem to always fish from the left side...cast from that side always....i guess when i get my new outback this winter i'll spend lots of time sitting in it in my basement trying to figure out where stuff should go...i really want to simplfy my new kayak....down to essentials and not all the fluff gear....neat clean and functional is where i'm going with this...any photo's of rigged outbacks would be appreciated

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The "down" rudder handle and cleat is on the R/H side.....regardless, which ever side you prefer will work as from what I read, Hobie has made the cable exit holes from both sides.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The question now is, is the ff in the way of fishing or are you sitting high enough it doesn't get in the way

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The fish finder is on the end of a 4" extension that connects to the 1" ball mount and base of the fish finder......if you look at the attached photo, unless you are a "little person", there is no issue fishing......I scan between the screen and my rod tip when fishing......if the fish is large enough, you will hear the hit on the rod holder....and you can always hold the rod as you are moving along.
This is my old 2010 Outback with a Humminbird FF and Scotty flush mount base, extensions and Scotty Power Lock rod holder.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey thanks....if you are sitting in your kayak...and fishing off the right side, does your FF ever get in the way of the rod....it just seems to me that it would being off the side like that...I know they have pre-drilled holes for the mount in the 2014 which I am buying for sure, but, it seems to me that the mast mount would be a better place to reduce the clutter around where my rods will be...can you offer anything on that

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
well the 2014 specs are out and the outback is now lowrance transducer ready...as well they have pre-drilled the holes for wiring on either side of the outback in the cut out area's...plugged with the standard hobie screw in plug...neat and clean and functional....

When will the 2014 Outbacks be out in the stores?

Phone: 254-772-3520

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know some guys have mounted the FF in the sailing mast tube....for me, it's too far away to easily reach when changing the display or what ever....
I had my Outback for 2 1/2 years and never encountered any problems with rods or fish landing/netting with the placement of the fish finder
The nice thing about the Ram mount is you can easily move the display around since it's on a 4" extension post....just loosen up the single the "wing nut" and adjust as needed.

You can see my rod holder is on a extension that makes it easy to clear your legs and knees when trolling along....I really like this set up.