Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Joel_T wrote:
Good thread. The first video’s not available though – I would have liked to see it.

My wife and I just bought a Revo 11 for her and a Revo 13 for me. We’re both 5’5”. She’s an agile and trim 135lbs and I’m a…..well, weight 185lbs. We both have at least average upper body strength. We’re anxious only for fairly calm flatwater cruises – bays, rivers, lakes, but am sure we’ll be in the drink sometime. We’ve only rented a couple times and been out in ours only twice. Last time we tried re-entry near the docks for a bit. What a joke – didn’t happen. Whoever keeps saying reentry’s just as easy as getting out of a pool is overlooking the fact that the side of a pool is cement and does not move. I see vids of people popping up over their kayaks like bobbers – the kayak stays still and the people fly over the top. Well for me, I don’t fly anywhere, the kayak does – usually on it top. The Revos are very easy to turn back over though. I didn’t think the wife would have any problem but she did, just less splashing. My PFD was adjusted loose so I could breath in peddling mode. It took a bit to cinch it up properly so it wasn’t up in my face. It still acted like a retaining wall against the side of the Revo though. Well, that and my belly. I will be using an inflatable from now on to help with that. I haven’t heard anything bad about them except for getting struck by lightning type fears. Tried help from a paddle float but was unable to secure it well enough at all. Not sure how yet but will resolve that. Open to suggestions. Also will rig up a stirrup setup. Then….more practice. We won’t have the luxury of 85deg days with 70deg water though. Procrastination will probably creep in.

Maybe if I eat more beans and tacos I can pop up over the side like a bobber :mrgreen:

Very well written and describes what is happening very well. Sadly, I pulled the video of my attempts since I tired of the personal attacks. The foolproof way I found to stop the tipping was to use the Sidekick AMA. You don't need to have it deployed nor do you even need to use both floats. The mounting cross bar gives you something to hang on to as you pull yourself up and roll into the cockpit and the float arrests the evil kayak rollover. You only need the float on the side you are boarding. Deflated, it compacts very well and it only takes a few breaths to inflate and it quickly snaps into place. If you store it deflated, just be sure to secure it just like anything else you carry.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chaz wrote:
Very well written and describes what is happening very well. Sadly, I pulled the video of my attempts since I tired of the personal attacks. The foolproof way I found to stop the tipping was to use the Sidekick AMA. You don't need to have it deployed nor do you even need to use both floats. The mounting cross bar gives you something to hang on to as you pull yourself up and roll into the cockpit and the float arrests the evil kayak rollover. You only need the float on the side you are boarding. Deflated, it compacts very well and it only takes a few breaths to inflate and it quickly snaps into place. If you store it deflated, just be sure to secure it just like anything else you carry.

Thanks for the response. I hope any narrow minded attacks were few. From what I saw you got mostly real world based kudos.

We're going back to Haag Lake Thursday for another, maybe last this summer, nice weather venture. At the end of the day we're gonna try anchoring the paddle/float arraingment at the top using a loop underneath with a trailing stirrup. I don't have an inflatable PFD yet but if need be I may take off the PFD to try a smoother form to move up and over. We'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Chaz wrote:
I pulled the video of my attempts since I tired of the personal attacks.
Chaz, put your video back up! It has great instructional value, promotes safety and IMO may help save someone. I don't think anybody meant their opinion as a personal attack, rather a point of view. Regardless, your video demonstrates various techniques and spurs users to learn how to do this rather than assume they can do it -- vital information!

Joel_T wrote:
At the end of the day we're gonna try anchoring the paddle/float arraingment at the top using a loop underneath with a trailing stirrup. I don't have an inflatable PFD yet but if need be I may take off the PFD to try a smoother form to move up and over. We'll see.
A friend gave a little demo at the lake the other day on a similar arrangement. Worked out pretty well. Here are a few pics of his rig if it helps:

1. Loop over the paddle, far side

2. loop over the paddle near side w/ stirrup attached that also serves as tensioner for the paddle when stepped in.

3. Climbing aboard.

He has apparently since developed a faster method to secure the paddle (necessary in colder water), but we'll have to wait to see if he makes it back to the lake while the water is still warm enough for another demo! :D

Good luck Thursday -- take some pics and let us know how it went, along with your suggestions! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Roadrunner, got any info on that "faster" method. I've got a paddle width loop at the opposite side of course and a stirrup at the working end but haven't got a sound method to secure the paddle using the middle of the rope and still leave some flexiblity as to the length of the stirrup. I guess once I have a good length of stirrup determined a couple of cinching wraps around the paddle, and handle?, on the working side might be all that's necessary - don't really know till I'm wet I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Joel_T wrote:
Hey Roadrunner, got any info on that "faster" method.
I tried reaching my friend unsuccessfully -- perhaps he is out of town. In his demo, he used a lot of time securing the paddle. To shorten this, I would consider two short pieces of line, each tied to a padeye in the cargo well sides close to the seat area. When positioning the paddle float, these lines would take a turn around the paddle on both sides of the boat (to keep it from slipping), then snap hook to a second padeye for quickly positioning the paddle and then releasing it when finished. IMO, the operation should be doable within about 30 to 45 seconds; the paddle should have the float previously mounted and ready to go.

As for the stirrup, no great ideas here on how this would best be implemented. Maybe a separate line anchored to the boat? 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Roadrunner and Joel T,
Earlier in this thread Dr. Steelhead Catcher posted a website with a stirrup product that is very simple, compact and an inexpensive fix for flipping a kayak over and re-entering. Take a look at this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRd1ha2rE0A. One of these could also be easily made at home. It might be the answer to this problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well I have to say that I have appreciated Chaz's video and I am very sorry to see it pulled as I believe it has helped myself and, likely, many others.

With that said, the stirrup method may be easy but when you are in very rough conditions, you may not be able to set all that up. I think the; seal beaching itself method is an essential, self rescue, technique.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We had a great leisurely 80deg day, about 4hrs worth meandering around the lake. At the end of the day, back at the docks we sat on a bench, relaxing, saying several times that "we need to get back in and practice re entry....yup, we need to do that, yup." Guess we didn't say it enough. Maybe next time. I did prep rope with a hook on one end, figuring a quick double overhand slip knot at the other could quickly secure the paddle float, if needed, with the stirrup ladder. The stirrup ladder, once a good length is determined, could be separately attached to either handle with a snap hook. I'd want the paddle float easily unhooked. It'd probably get in the way of positioning my body. Hope I don't need that part of the apparatus.