Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hoisting a PA 12
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I want to hoist my PA 12 by the side rails and leave it hanging for 24 hours maximum time, while I use my trailer to haul my Outback. Anything wrong with this? It is normally stored on pipes on my trailer.

Post subject: Re: Hoisting a PA 12
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The side rails won't hold the weight of the PA. Not even close :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have no reason to doubt your statement, but if this is true, I do not understand why Hobie does not warn in their manual not to lift with the side rails. And the side rails appear to me to be better lifting points than the handles on the ends.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I wouldn't trust the handles for an extended suspended period either. I would put a couple straps under the hull and hoist it from those rather than trust the screws securing the side rails or the hand rails.

Quote:
And the side rails appear to me to be better lifting points than the handles on the ends.

Not to me they don't, but I have a PA-14 and there is no way I see those side rails as being strong enough to support the full weight of the kayak. IMO they are barely strong enough for mount accessories and mine work loose after a few trips and need to be retightened. If you want to lift/transport a PA use the handles, that's what they are there for, but again I would not trust them to suspend a kayak in the air for any period of time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am lifting with straps under the bottom. I was just thinking about a plan B which would be simpler, but had concerns about lifting with the side rails and wanted some other one's thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Play it safe. It will be bad enough to have a handle ripped out, but then she'd come crashing down from whatever height and she won't come down level, one side will lead == cracked hull. Ouch. Not worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

r11 wrote:
Play it safe. It will be bad enough to have a handle ripped out, but then she'd come crashing down from whatever height and she won't come down level, one side will lead == cracked hull. Ouch. Not worth it.

:(
The only reason I thought about doing this is that it looks like to me that the same bolts are used on the end handles and the side rails, and the side rails are in tension where the end handles have shear a force applied when lifted. But I agree that I ain't doing it until I get some positive feedback from someone who has known knowledge/experience. I still think if you can lift by the end handles you can lift by the side rails. If not, it's a crazy design.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rear handle is similar to the side handles. I wouldn't hang my PA by the rear handle either :!:

If you will take the time to remove the side handles and take a look, you will see that they aren't that stable. I even worry about having ram tube rod holders attached to the side handles.