Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, I was just given a hobie cat 16 by a friend and I would like to get the boat out. I need a new tramp, sail and any rope as it is all worn out. Can folks recommend good tramps, sails and rigging setups and what types they love best and why? Also, the color comes off on my hands on the hulls... is there a recommended sealer for these?

Thanks for any and all advice on my new boat. I've only been sailing one other time and loved it, but that was on a sunfish, this seems a little more intense :) I love a new challenge.

First pic of our free boat:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So far Ive had good luck with my new tramp from Tampa cats for around $130. I used 3M perfectit to buff out my yellow hulls on my 1983. I then waxed them and it turned out great, not perfect, but it looks very good for a boat that old. Research as much as you can on this site, and then go through the boat and check everything. Also request a parts catalog, it has all the parts you will need and quanity for rope etc, along with the price. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

First, check those hulls and make sure they're good. Check the bottoms first and make sure you don't see any holes. Press on the top of the hulls just forward of the tramp. Does it push down? Did it make a cracking noise? I'd recommend finding another set of hulls if this is the case.

How much are you looking to spend? The most expensive are hardest piece will be the sails. I recommend you start looking now, it might take you some time to find a good set in your price range. If you just shop for sails you're probably going to spend $800 on a set of used ones. Make sure you try and get battens with the sails. If you want new, you're looking at $1200 without battens.

Your best bet is to look for more used boats on craigslist and try and piece two boats together. Look for a boat that has everything your current boat doesn't. Combine the two boats and sell off any extras you don't need.

-Dan