Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I want to mount a fish finder display on an outback on the right side. I will appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used this Hobie Ram mount http://www.kayakshed.com/hobie-kayak-ge ... pact-mount or this one depending on your fish finder model/base size and style http://www.kayakshed.com/hobie-kayak-ge ... -FULL-SIZE

it's located it in the right hand tray as see here Image

Just make sure there is enough room to pull the "rudder down handle" AND be careful when drilling mounting holes so you do not hit the spectra lines underneath and inside the hull.
Make sure the spectra lines do not contact the bolts or nuts inside the hull to prevent wear and failure of the lines over time.
Good luck :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had ordered a ram mount from ACK, and was looking at mounting it where you have yours. But it seems that it may pose problem with the down rudder pull. Do you pull at an angle to the hole or do you have a straight pull? I guess I will wait until the mount arrives to see if it can work for me in this location, as it seems to be the best, which you have confirmed.
How you got your flag mounted?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Once you receive your Ram mount.."dry assemble it" and you will see it's easy to move the 4" extension out of the way of the down rudder handle.
Locate the 1" ball mount base where reaching the fish finder display is in the most comfortable spot for you.
The last thing to do is drill holes....not the first thing!
I was able to pull the handle straight back to the "rudder lock down cleat" when the Ram mount was in this spot.

The Hobie flag is mounted through two holes used by a Scotty flush mount I already had installed next to the aft round hatch....the bracket is on top of the flush mount so I did not need to drill any more holes.

You can see where I mounted my rod holder using a Scotty flush mount , two extension arms and the power lock rod holder....the extensions made it easy for my rod to clear my knees while peddling.
I fish with a 8.5' steelhead rod and level wind reel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's how I had mine set up. I didn't want to mount it in the tray because I frequently used them. This place had no flex and was still out of the way of the rod holder.

1 inch ram mount and a west marine wire cap.

Also, you can turn your rear gear box into a battery compartment. Cut some of the dividers out and the 12v 7amp battery can lay on its side. Put the lid on it and it's pretty much water tight.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not a big fan of those Ram Mount balls, I've heard of folks locators becoming detached to those Ram ball mounts. I would consider the Railblaza option instead. I attached my Lowrance to this Rotating platform, which is attached to a starport. When I transfer to my AI from my Revo, I used the smaller cup holder with a starport attached to the bottom of the cup holder of the AI and added the small telepole from Railblaza for more height. With this setup I can tilt or turn my locator screen in any direction but remain firmly attached. With a starport in another location or kayak I can transfer the whole setup or part of.

http://www.railblaza.com/products/view/ ... rm/171/59/

With the Outback you'll have several options of where to mount the starport. I would suggest getting out on the water first and feeling for what spot is comfortable for you. I like the FF screen real close to me so I can see it good, but yet out of the way for fighting/landing a fish.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CR Yaker....I used the 1" Ram ball mount for 3 years on my old Outback and never had it come loose.
Do not know why someone would have a problem unless they failed to tighten the arm....it has the tilting/rotating 360 degrees on the end of the 4" "arm" that the railblaza does not offer due to a different design.
What ever works best for you "is the best solution"..... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I mounted mine like Dr. Steelhead, as it was the place I thought was the best for me. Am not concerned about the Ram mount as I don't see how it can come loose if it is tightened, and have one on my PA 12. It can be tilted out of the way for the rudder pull, which was my main concern. Will test it out Friday at Cape San Blas.
Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Captain, I like ur idea about cutting out some dividers and mounting the battery in the rear hatch. Will probably do after this trip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

billwbrun wrote:
Captain, I like ur idea about cutting out some dividers and mounting the battery in the rear hatch. Will probably do after this trip.

Make sure not to over-cut the dividers. The gear box will lose its rigidity and fall into the hull. Just cut enough to fit the battery.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Captain Yak wrote:
billwbrun wrote:

Make sure not to over-cut the dividers. The gear box will lose its rigidity and fall into the hull. Just cut enough to fit the battery.

Sounds like a voice of experience. Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

billwbrun wrote:
Captain Yak wrote:
billwbrun wrote:

Sounds like a voice of experience. Thanks. :)

HaHa! My buddy made that mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can also buy the Hobie battery holder which allow to use hatch or sailing post inside hull.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Lowrance Elite 5 which sits on a Ram mount and have found it to be very secure. I do recall reading some where about Ram mounts loosening when securing "rocket launcher" style rod mounts while trolling. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was related to a Ram ball fastened to a track and, when a snag or fish strike occurred, the threaded Ram bolt in the track would loosen with the lateral torque applied by the fish or snag.) Without any significant lateral torque placed on the Ram mount, it has proved to be quite secure.

On a somewhat different tangent:

I ordered and received the Hobie battery holder and installed it on the sail post inside the forward hatch only to learn that my Hobie Outback hatch liner would not fit in the hatch with the battery installed on the sail post. Next I thought to install the battery in a modified Hobie hatch container much like the ingenious method described by Captain Yak Catcher. Alas, my Hobie Safety Kit is installed there and since the twist 'n seal directly in front of my seat was desired to be kept open, the safety kit was destined to stay in the rear hatch. (Someone will eventually come up with a modified deep hatch container which will carry a battery and the safety kit?) My third and final choice for battery placement took me back to the forward hatch while still desirous to use the Hobie Outback hatch liner. My solution was to mount the battery just aft of the sail post on the port side (same side as the sonar/GPS mount). The battery I've used was purchased complete with a waterproof Pelican box and plug-in outlet installed on the side of the Pelican box. (http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/ser ... wer/Detail) I did add a fuse to the inside of the box but that was the only modification made to the unit. How to secure it to the hull became a larger concern. I had another kayak in which the battery box was secured with 4" wide velcro to the hull. That worked very well and proved to be surprisingly quite durable. I purchased a foot-long strip of 4" wide velcro with adhesive backing on both male and female pieces. One piece was adhered to the desired battery location (flat on the hull bottom) and the other to the back side of the battery box. The battery stays in place with the hull inverted; don't believe it would hold if hull was inverted and dropped (much like a surf launch gone bad?). I used some leftover velcro to secure the transducer cable to the hull along its entire length. Not sure if the velcro solution will work for all but it has worked well for me for a couple years now.

Just my $0.02.