Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tandem or not
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

after Watching videos and reading about the adventure island I am seriously contemplating getting one. I current have a revolution 13 which I love and use often. I have a 9 year old daughter that I stick on the back of the revolution and we go out for a few hours. She complains of being uncomfortable after a few hours. No doubt I would be too if I sat back there.

So my thought is to pick up the tandem island but I have a few questions.

1. Can this boat be sailed/pedaled by one person? If I wanted to take the boat out without my daughter, how difficult would that be? As an add on question, any comparison of pedaling the TI vs the rev? Meaning effort to move the boat say a few miles in calm conditions along, mostly pedaling I assume if there isn't much wind.

2. maybe a stupid question, but I have never sailed, if you go a few miles with the wind at your back, I get that, but is it possible to sail into headwinds? I can't imagine that it is, just thought I would ask. I'm thinking if went a way, if might be tough to pedal the trip back.

Like I said, I would like to get the boat and the trampoline, I picture maybe anchoring for a bit, fishing for a bit, sailing for a big, sounds like an awesome day.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: tandum or not
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1. Yes you can pedal and sail it solo, quite well in fact. I do it all the time. Be advised that if you do so from the rear seat, pedaling in high winds can be difficult towards the wind as the long forward section is easily blown around by the wind. I have negated this to a large extent by keeping the centerboard down even when not sailing and trimming the boat a bit by putting some gear in the forward passenger seat. Of course, you can also sit and pedal from the forward seat, which also helps a great deal. Either way, it's more than manageable in all but the most horrid conditions in solo mode.

In calm conditions, and even fairly windy ones, it pedals great. A little more effort than the Revo, but hey, it's larger, heavier and longer. But surprisingly agile and fast for Hobie's largest MD boat.

2. You can sail to any destination you desire. No, not directly into the wind, but about 45 degrees to it. So you work your way back in a bit of a zigzag course, but at a higher speed than you sailed directly downwind. It's a rip! Fun! Fast!

3. (I added this one) the Adventure Island is a great option as well, but your daughter will grow larger and once you have the boat others will want to go along as well. The Tandem gives you more options than the Adventure (I have both, so no disrespect intended to the AI) so if you can only have one, I'd go with the TI.

Two years ago I didn't own any sailboats. Now I own 6. While some were more expensive and highly regarded than the TI, the TI remains my "go to" boat when I just want to have fun. I sail it, pedal it, fish from it (great fishing platform) and take others out and about in it. If I could only own one, the TI would be it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spot on Tom. I spent today out on the lake with an ex 16 foot skiff sailor, in winds requiring partial furling of the sail, and she commented afterwards that the sailing was just as much fun, but unlike the 16 footer, she didn't finish up black and blue from bruises. Another convert to TIs!

I enjoy taking people out on the TI and seeing them get the point! Haven't had a single failure yet!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So it looks like the TI would be great fun by myself or with others which is perfect.

Another question, there is a bridge that I have to go under to get to the main lake where I live. I have to sail/paddle to that bridge which is a mile or two. Is it easy to take the mast down, say if I am by myself, while on the water?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Easy? No. But not altogether difficult. It really depends on your size, strength and balance. The mast of the TI is a little taller than the one on the AI and the sail larger and a bit heavier, but I'd think the average size male could do it on the water without too much trouble. It's not like you can just toss it up and slip it down, but it's not overly difficult either. I'd call it "manageable" for the average person.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The mast might be a problem if you're a kid, a woman or an old man. Or if the wind is strong and the waves big. It is hardly much of a problem for a healthy man.

Post subject: mast removal
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:) I love the stability my tandem gives me if I have to remove the mast while in the water. My favorite landing has trees nearly to the water line so the tandem is launched before I can install the mast. Extending the amas and having the tramps on...it is quite safe to pop the mast in or out. Previously I had a small monohull and had to put up the mast at the same location. More than once I thought I would end up being thrown over board with the hull filling with water.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I looked at the tandem, but settled for the AI due to transport considerations - to my mind the tandem required either a trailer or careful choice of vehicle and racks whereas the AI can go on standard 50kg-rated roof racks.

Have others reasoned the same?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

To not steal a thread or get off topic, I have similar questions about the TI.

I currently own a Tandem Oasis Kayak with a Hobie Sail and ready to step up to the TI. The small sail does not really push the Oasis THAT well when loaded down.

If you take everything off of a TI and use it as a kayak when not sailing can I expect similar performance as my OASIS now, although it is slightly longer and few more pounds? Is this a correct assumption?

Because we love to kayak on occasion but get into sailing for all other trips/occasions. Trying to decide if I get a TI, do I need to hang onto my Oasis or sell it and just use the TI as a kayak w/o all of the AMA's, etc

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Motobob:
We used to have an oasis and a revo, with my wife on her revo she was always much faster than me solo on the oasis, she would circle around me taunting me to keep up all the time ( very annoying lol).
We traded the oasis in for a TI, after that it was me circling and taunting solo on the TI (payback is nice). After a while she decided that tandem was more fun and we started only going out on the TI. After that we never used our revo's again and sold them after a year of them sitting idle. We often do long river excursions where we have to pedal ten hrs one day then again the next and both have no difficulty with that.
However be aware of fake peddlers, as it turns out my wife is one and I call back 'are you pedaling' the answer is alway yes, there is a sudden burst of speed for 30 seconds, then back to normal. Honesty I enjoy the company and don't care if she pedals or not, but like to give her a hard time about it. I now know why she likes tandem kayaking so much more though.
The TI is by far the fastest kayak Hobie makes ( longer boats are are always faster because of the length), the AI is no slouch either as a kayak, both great kayaks.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great, it is now clear to me that I would not need to retain my Oasis when I get the TI...and that the TI can do it all, either in kayak mode or sailing mode. Thanks for the reply. Bob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ho MotoBob.
You mention trailering or a suitable vehicle for the TI.
I know this is pushing the envelope but this rig works well with a 1600 cc turbo commonrail diesel Hyudai i30 car topping the TI and towing a small caravan -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mrasmussen72 wrote:

1. Can this boat be sailed/pedaled by one person? If I wanted to take the boat out without my daughter, how difficult would that be? As an add on question, any comparison of pedaling the TI vs the rev? Meaning effort to move the boat say a few miles in calm conditions along, mostly pedaling I assume if there isn't much wind.

For all these doubts I realized my video.

if you do not ever try a tandem ..... remains only the youtube video and the advice of Tom

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49534

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Changeman, I use a trailer now for ease with my oasis and would definitely use it for a TI. Although I did recently cartop it for 4 hours on the highway when I went to the Outerbanks.

Great video Mussen!

Bob