Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Performance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Waiting for reviews on Performance............
Weight wise it looks about like the Getaway.

Post subject: Re: Performance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Understand that this is a Hobie Cat Europe design that we have done some re-engineering for structural and manufacturing reasons. We changed the way the hulls attach to crossbars, the way the shrouds anchor to the hulls and the width (we made it a bit wider).

Ok, so I have to be honest. I have not yet sailed the T2, but Jacques has and he related a few of his findings to me. That plus specification comparison should give us a feel for where the T2 fits. We have yet to sail these all side by side.

It is definitely faster than a Wave. Has more volume for carrying crew and is more forgiving for pitch poles. And it is a sexy looking boat! I love the Wave, but it is really function over form. The T2 has nicer lines and a more traditional looking balance of sail over hull size.

The weight is close to a Getaway, but the sail area is smaller. I look at the hull shape and modern sail plan as an advantage. You should also be able to double trapeze on the T2, so top end... I believe the T2 will be faster. Light air? A wash or possibly Getaway.

A Hobie 16 it is not. Heavier, less sail. It is a LOT less money and MUCH more durable though.

One thing we struggled with are the replaceable keels. The keels are not on a horizontal plane, so adding wide flat wear strips causes disruption in water flow, so we opted to change that to a shorter keel-width wear strip at the rear of the keel. The boat sails more smoothly without the wear strips in place.

I can't wait to give it a spin and actually sail them side by side, but just looking at the lines of the T2... its going to be a success!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This was the review I was looking for. I sail a hobie 18 and love it but am always on the lookout for something new. I sail on a 16 with my buddy who just loves his he is a light weight (His crew barely makes class weight). Where as I am a bigger guy and need the buoyancy of the 18 to still get that speed thrill. When I saw this design I was impressed but the sail area just seems small...... was there a reason it was kept smaller than the 16's, more family friendly, Solo? The price of this boat seems hard to beat but for not too terribly much more I wonder if you don't get more boat with the 16. BTW this is a really good looking boat. Nice to see modern hull design work its way into the lower end boats. Keep up the good work guys!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
The weight is close to a Getaway, but the sail area is smaller. I look at the hull shape and modern sail plan as an advantage.

I am wondering what is the actual difference in the hull shape. Judging from the difference in caring capacity, Getaway 1000 vs. T2 529 lb, T2 should have much slicker hulls. This should translate into much faster cat..., I would hope.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
The weight is close to a Getaway, but the sail area is smaller. I look at the hull shape and modern sail plan as an advantage. You should also be able to double trapeze on the T2, so top end... I believe the T2 will be faster. Light air? A wash or possibly Getaway.

A Hobie 16 it is not. Heavier, less sail. It is a LOT less money and MUCH more durable though.

One thing we struggled with are the replaceable keels. The keels are not on a horizontal plane, so adding wide flat wear strips causes disruption in water flow, so we opted to change that to a shorter keel-width wear strip at the rear of the keel. The boat sails more smoothly without the wear strips in place.

Thanks a million for this "executive summary," Matt! Very helpful insight and details.

You might want to move the T2 Thread in Open Forum over here too. That way we'll have all the T2 info and discussion in the right place! :D

I was pondering a clean H17 or a rare FX one. But for my purposes, the T2 is likely a more reasonable -- and no longer hypothetical -- choice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice looking boat! I was looking for an assessment of how she performs. Guess I'll have to stick with my 14t and 16 for awhile, tho! :P

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It would be interesting to see a T2 and a Rick White modified Wave go head to head on both performance and price.