Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently got a Hobie Revolution 13 that is a 2007 model. It has no Mirage drive or anything other than a block off where it would be. What is envolved with installing one and needed other than naturally the mirage drive itself. I have just seen several things stating 09 and newer etc and wanna make sure before throwing down alot of money for the setup that it will work with no issues. I have searched around and found alot of information on it just nothing on model year differences etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bone, what do you mean exactly by this phrase? "It has no Mirage drive or anything other than a block off where it would be."
You mean that the port/slot where the mirage drive would insert thru the hull is blocked off? If so, then there is a reason, probably a crack that was repaired in the mirage drive area, if reused with a mirage drive might easily reopen the crack.
Or are you talking about the cassette plug. If so, then your good to go and just need to purchase a new drive. I would also warn you to look into the threads here about older Hobies before 2009 and the need to reinforce the columns in the hull of the mirage drive area.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes just the cassette plug where it would reside. It appears the kayak has set up in a garage most its life it looks almost new no scratches nothing. Will also do some research on that, I will revamp my search phrases some to look for that. Thank you that was the info I needed. I just wanted to make sure there were no changes in size or ports/slots between the years requiring different drives or something..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe the 2007 requires the older, "V1" Mirage drive if it does not have the "click and go or V2" mounting hardware installed...I think the Mirage drive changed in 2009.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
I believe the 2007 requires the older, "V1" Mirage drive if it does not have the "click and go or V2" mounting hardware installed...I think the Mirage drive changed in 2009.

MirageDrives are interchangeable. You can use the newest drives in older boats. You would have to remove the alignment pins... that's it. The newest spine has molded-in alignment pins, so a hack saw is required to remove them.

Further background on compatibility:

Older drives require a drum shaft change to work properly in a newer click and go equipped boat. That is related to the click and go lever opening while pedaling. The older drum shafts would rotate in the spine and "walk" the levers open... we added splines to the drum shafts to stop that on newer drives.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt,
Thanks for chiming in and clarifying the Mirage drive compatibility use.