Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
Pete@JAX wrote:
Thats is perfect -- Hope they make it in a color that compliments the Olive PA14..
Only change I would make to the cover the under seat areas as well.....

When and How much???

I just shipped the template kits today. The floor area under the seat is covered for both models in my templates as well as the rear cargo area. As far as timing and cost, I will get a quote from SeaDek after they take my templates and compute the amount of 6mm 2-tone padding that will be required. For custom work there is a minimum amount that has to be ordered (10 square feet). An 8 foot by 4 foot piece would do one PA, so I figured I can get both of the PA14s I have done with a 10 by 10 section.

I really do not want to quote pricing as mine is custom work and they are giving me a break since I am helping them with templating all the PA14 variations. The cost of the logo work is more than the material costs, but I would hope a complete kit for a PA14 off my templates (with the rear cargo area and both floor pads under the seat covered ) would be still be very reasonable (not much more than the cost they currently offer for the PA12. Putting a SeaDek logo anywhere you want is free for custom work.

I'm hoping I have the SeaDek material in a couple of weeks. It could be quicker, but I will have to wait and see. I have color top-down renditions of what both PAs would look like and might upload them to the forum. I haven't decided whether make them public or hold off until the project is finished...lol.

According to my math that would be around $280 for one PA? On SeaDek website a 3x6 (39"x77") sheet cost $140.

Damn that looks awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think it's going to run me a little more than I originally anticipated, but will have to see what happens. If I can only afford to do one PA initially, it will be the 2013 model as I fish out of it the most. I can always do the 2012 down the road. SeaDek will still have the templates to do all the versions. I should get the final quote and drawings from SeaDek sometime next week.

As the process progresses, I will post updates here... :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's an update...

I received the quotes for the "custom" SeaDek applications for both the 2012 and the 2013 PA14s. It turned out a lot more than I anticipated, but I am still going to have the 2013 PA14 done and then the 2012 PA14 in the next month or so. I've been working on selling my Revolution 11 at a fair price (only been in the lake 3 times) so I could fund a trailer and the SeaDek project. That hasn't received much traction. If it had, I would do both PA14s at the same time. Oh well...lol.

As I mentioned previously, the custom logos add a big increase in the cost. SeaDek is giving my a discount for helping them create templates to cover all the PA14s. Without the discount, each custom PA14 kit would run about $285 plus $15-$20 shipping. So as you can see...it's not a cheap project.

Based on the costs that have been communicated to me, I figure a PA14 kit without the logos (could have a free SeaDek logo) would run around $210 plus the shipping. Keep in mind this is being done on the 2-tone material that is 6mm thick and has two 3mm layers combined. So a PA14 kit with the single color or pattern on the 5mm layer with the micro dots texture and the beveled edges should run less.

I really can't speak to what they are going to offer in their kayak kit section. The patterns I templated include the rear cargo area and both under seat pads on the 2013 model. That put me at a full sheet of material versus a half sheet.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve, do you think I be able to order the same kit without the rear cargo area (#'s 1 & 2 on the template) for half the price on a 2012 PA14 (around $100 w/o logos)? Will they have the templates on file so all I/we have to do is call them to ship it out?
I appreciate you do all the leg work. I needed to replace my padding and I rather go this route.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BIGWORM(512) wrote:
Steve, do you think I be able to order the same kit without the rear cargo area (#'s 1 & 2 on the template) for half the price on a 2012 PA14 (around $100 w/o logos)? Will they have the templates on file so all I/we have to do is call them to ship it out?
I appreciate you do all the leg work. I needed to replace my padding and I rather go this route.

I'm using the 2 color sheets which cost about $290 for the entire sheet (39 inches by 77 inches). The single color sheets (like the PA12 kit) should cost a lot less since they are not two (3mm) sheets combined. The single color sheets come in a 5mm size as a minimum thickness.

Looking at the detailed final sheet usage drawings they sent me, it looks like you would use about 65% of the sheet if you left the rear cargo area off. It's really hard for me to give you an accurate assessment. I will see if Seadek can give me some feedback as to what they plan to do as far as offerings for other Pro Angler owners. If I can get a rough cost for you, I'll let you know.

***Update since posting***

I did talk to my person at SeaDek. They will probably offer more than one version of a kit for the 2013/14 PA14. So there might be one that has my layout and one where the front deck is broken down into more pieces. I mentioned to her that they should fix the missing "under the seat" pad for the PA12 kit. That will be looked into.

If anyone wants to inquire with SeaDek regarding a kit or a custom order (can be simply a single layer with no logos), feel free to contact Paige Brewer. Her contact info is below.

Steve

Paige Brewer
End User Sales
SeaDek
321-806-4387 direct
321-632-4466 ph
321-632-7019 fx
[email protected]

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

***Just an update***

I should have the "dry run" templates today. If all the lines look like they line up, I'll call my contact at SeaDek and get both PAs cut. If there needs to be an adjustment, I'll have to mark that on the "dry run" templates and ship them back and have them proceed with cutting the pads once they receive the adjusted templates. That's the latest. Stay tuned...

***Just checked the templates***

The 2013 PA14 lines up perfectly. The 2012 needs to have some minor adjustments on the front deck around the scupper holes. That was challenging to lay clear mylar and keep everything lined up...lol. So I'll be placing the deposit on the 2013 PA14 tomorrow morning to get that one started. The updated 2012 PA14 templates will get shipped back on Monday to SeaDek. They will make the adjustments and I might have them ship me another set of dry run templates for the 2012 PA14. That will delay that order, but I want to get it right so when other folks order this material for their 2012 PA14, it will line up and look great! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Edited my last entry above and forgot it does not move the thread back up...lol. It looks like the 2013 PA14 will get ordered in the morning. The 2012 PA14 will have to wait on some minor final adjustments.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a UPS tracking number for the 2013 Pro Angler 14 SeaDek setup. It should be on my doorstep when I get home tomorrow. Can't wait!!! :D

Sent the adjustments to the 2012 PA14 front floor area back to SeaDek today. That front floor area around the raised tackle box area and the 4 scuppers hole is a little more challenging to get lined up. Hoping to have that setup to install by next week (or sooner).

Will post pictures of each when I get it installed.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The SeaDek arrived today!!!

Here are some installed shots with and without hardware. The look and feel is great. I can't wait to get on the water Saturday morning to try it out. Will post pictures of the 2012 PA14 when that kit comes in. The glare by the hatch edge is reflection from the satin black I used in the hatch depression area. Will probably go back and make it flat black to better match the edge of the SeaDek. The SeaDel follows the ridge around the depression the hatch is mounted in fine. I painted the depression to make it blend in.

Many thanks to Matt and Hobie for letting me use the "H" in my logo.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very nice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The material really jazzes up the PA.....just out of curiosity, how much extra weight does it add to the PA?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
The material really jazzes up the PA.....just out of curiosity, how much extra weight does it add to the PA?

Not much. The total shipping weight of what they sent me (2 shirts, all the padding with cutouts that were not used, and the cardboard package) was 9 pounds. I'm guessing it added about 5-7 pounds of weight if even that much.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Steve....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks awesome Steve.......much better on your's than on that other PA14 from Melbourne Fl. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fantastic Steve...looks amazing!!!

I have fished with my Seadek installed at least 15 times and I can say that grip when wet is great and it completely kills the noise when things are dropped on the deck.

Glad you pushed to make it happen!

Joe

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next