Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking for ideas on an electric winch and carriage to pull a PA14 into the back end of a 4x4 truck.

I have a bed extender and have been wrestling my PA into the back of my truck by hand. The height and typical angle of water's edge to truck is a killer. It slides off the extender if you're not careful and it is a pain to get it into the truck. Five straight days of the fight recently did my back in. I have now gone back to the trailer in the interim.

I am pondering a sled arrangement built from plastic conduit that you attach the PA to and then use a winch to pull it up into the bed of the truck. An acquaintance of mine uses a Harbor Freight winch to pull his PA12 into the bed of his truck but he doesn't use a sled/conduit. I want a sled arrangement due to the weight and length of a 14' boat.

Any examples of such an arrangement would be helpful.
Thanks in advance,

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could always spend about $34 to buy a regular trailer boat winch with a 20' nylon strap and hook and mount it on to your truck (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shoreline-Mar ... p/16606510).....a cross bar or 2x4 plugged into the front "post plugs" of the bed will work or a simple 3 or 4 to 1 block and tackle will easily pull your PA into the truck bed.
I have a boat trailer winch (1000 pound capacity) mounted on my Trailex trailer to winch my PA-14 on for just that reason.....a small 600 pound rated PWC trailer winch works too.
IMHO,you really do not need an electric winch....it only adds complexity....I tend to practice the "kiss principle"....or ..."keep it simple stupid" :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dr.
Thanks for the reply. I have a tandem Trailex and I can pull a PA on it by hand without a problem. It's the height of a 4 x 4 that's giving me grief. I want an electric setup because you have to guide the rascal while you're pulling it up there. If you let go of it to go crank a winch it's going to slide back off the truck /bed extender. Nearly broke my hand last year when it avalanched back out of the truck. I use my trailer most of the time now but there are spots I fish where the trailer simply won't work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not sure if you could, but would a roller on your extender work? As soon as I get the bow on that roller it does not move. I just lift up the rear and slide it on to the rest of the trailer. I did want a strap to clip to the bow when I backed down a boat ramp. This was before I had a cart. On a level surface it works great. My trailers as high if not higher than most tailgates.

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I fashioned a winch to load and carry my Mokai, a powered "kayak". It works pretty well and would certainly work for the PA.

This is how I carry my Mokai on my Tacoma.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak6zaJIK ... e=youtu.be

If you get to YouTube but not my video try loading: watch?v=Ak6zaJIK ... e=youtu.be
and then play the Mokai Carrier video

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I feel your pain. Just kidding. Here's how I load my PA. I put the wheels on and pull it up to level land. I bring the front to the side of my bed extender, I have the rear of the boat centered. With the wheels still attached I lift the front onto the bed extender. The wheels make it easy to lift. Next I go to the back lift and slide the boat into the bed. I'm going to make a video and post it to YouTube in the near future. I hope this helps. I love my PA.