Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 nationals
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We are new to the hobie family and planning to come just as spectators. Will we be able to see much from the beach or are we wasting our time if we are not racing? It's about a 650 mile drive and hope to be able to see the action from the shore.

cobrasailing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We went out and did some practice sailing today. I believe you'll have good views from the beach.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cobrasailing wrote:
We are new to the hobie family and planning to come just as spectators. Will we be able to see much from the beach or are we wasting our time if we are not racing? It's about a 650 mile drive and hope to be able to see the action from the shore.

I really get a kick out of racing and I hate to say it but unless you're racing or on the committee boat or a chase boat then there's very little racing action to see from the beach. 650 miles is a long way to travel unless you have another reason besides the races. Bring your boat if you can and get some tips from the racers and spend your time sailing for fun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MVD keep the updates coming,for us poor bast...... that wish we could be there.
Hard to compete with the coverage of the Europeans,but hopefully we get some updates.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll qualify my response. You will be able to see boats from the beach. Being able to tell what's going on, however, is a whole different ballgame. Lack of depth perception at long distances and the nature of sailboats to scatter and converge at marks will make it look nonsensical. You might enjoy talking to sailors on the beach and sailing your own boat down here, if you do, just be cognizant of where the race course is and stay away from competing boats and marks. Look me up if you come down, sail #112205, Seabreeze pattern. But I don't think I'd be motivated to drive that far and not participate.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmadge wrote:
MVD keep the updates coming,for us poor bast...... that wish we could be there.
Hard to compete with the coverage of the Europeans,but hopefully we get some updates.

I guess that was wishfull thinking.I see the results for race 1 but tha is it :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MVD & SP - congrats on your finish!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ouch,only 43 Hobie 16's.On a positive note there is probably a whole lot of people like myself that are wishing they were there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Mike,

Sorry to be a bit slow with updates. This is wearing my old butt out. Monday we only got one race in due to the threat of thunderstorms. We initially wend out in a light drizzle, but before the first race, we started hearing thunder so the RC correctly send the fleet back to the beach. We waited for conditions to improve and started our only race of the day at 3:00.

On Tuesday, it was a gray dreary looking day with winds blowing around 18 knots with bigger gusts and a rough chop. I can't tell you how the fleet scored, we were so far back it was tough to tell what was happening up front. In the third race we got involved in a three boat wreck just 40 yards from the finish. We were screaming downwind, three boats line abreast, we were the middle boat of the three. There was only a couple of feed laterally between each boat. The weather boat was turned by a wave into us. Our bow tapped him near the stern and spun him sideways, perpendicular in front us and the boat to leeward of us. We glanced off him, but the boat to leeward of us T-boned the now sideways and put a hole in one of his hulls. Fortunately there were no injuries. After that, we had had enough for the day and retired.

There were several other instances of carnage. One 18 had a nylon rudder pin break and lost steering control and then T-boned another 18. Much damage to both boats, one is out for the race with holes in both bows. It almost sank coming back into the beach. Wessels boat had a comptip break but is borrowing the mast off the retiring 18.

One boat that capsized sent a woman to the emergency room after she fell on the mast. She has a bruised sternum and some other minor injuries.

Lots of boats capsized today with several retiring early. Tomorrow, the forecast is for 3-5 knots.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:shock:

Now I am really bummed I ain't there. I live for those conditions. :twisted:

Glad to hear everyone is ok. Looking around on fb those were some nasty collisions!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been saving all the pictures I can find on FB and collecting them here...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

More pix...

http://morriscovinphotography.smugmug.c ... ingBoating

http://morriscovinphotography.smugmug.c ... &k=ZSC5srk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ronholm wrote:

Someone should have taken that crazy guy on as crew!
http://morriscovinphotography.smugmug.com/SailingYachtingBoating/2013-Hobie-Nationals/32934535_FVcwB5#!i=2853911462&k=4N9B9qb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PurdueZach wrote:

I would have done it!!! Seriously.. In those conditions... That is my zone... at least for yesterday I would have had respectable decent finishes.. (as in not dead last :P ) Me and that guy could have had a BLAST! :lol: :lol:

Quote:

Rally driver admits he has no idea what co-driver is talking about.

Top British rally driver, Mark Fischer, today found himself at the centre of a storm of controversy after confessing that he had absolutely no idea what his long-term co-driver, Gethyn Davis, was talking about during races.

It had been assumed that co-drivers were reading ‘pace notes’, a series of instructions describing how to negotiate the road layout ahead, but Fischer claims the notes are ‘total nonsense’ and that he has simply been humouring his co-driver all these years. ‘It’s just gibberish,’ he said. ‘But the regulations say that there must be two people in the car at all times during the race, and Gethyn was a good mate so I always just took him along for the ride.’

Davis is reported to be furious at Fischer’s statement and maintains that they were equal partners in the team, but Fisher has been quick to dismiss this.

‘Oh, come on,’ he said. ‘I mean, ’50 5-left and stop 2-right half minus braking into K-right 90 maybe and absolute crest 500′. What the hell am I supposed to make of that when I’m flat out over a jump sideways at 90mph?’

This is not the first time Fischer has courted controversy over the role of co-drivers. In 2009, after finding himself without a co-driver for the Jyvaskyla Rally in Finland, he kidnapped a homeless man and forcibly strapped him into the passenger seat to ensure that the two-people-in-each-car rule was complied with. The stunt only came to light when onboard footage taken during the race revealed that rather than reading the ‘pace notes’, the Finnish co-driver was in fact screaming the words ‘Oh sh*t!’ over and over again, occasionally interspersed with other phrases including, ‘Watch out for that house’ and ‘Slow down, you mad bastard’.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

He would have loved crewing. "Here, put on this harness, hook into the trap wire, hold your beer in one hand and the jib sheet in the other".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next