Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: transporting a tandem AI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of owning a tandem island. I live across the street from the beach and my plan was to use the cart that plugs into the scupper holes to bring the boat across the road then take off into the water and keep the cart on the boat. Then I got to reading and it seems that you can't use the regular cart to transport the boat, it seems you need the cart with the shaped platform for the boat..is this the case or can I get away away with the small cart. I really don't want to have to leave the cart unattended on the beach.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a HD cart with a TI cradle, but with minor mods, that allows me to quickly disassemble and store in the front hatch.

First I cut the fixed "pipe" (not the one with the retainer pin) 1 1/4 inch shorter. Then I used a (rat tail) file to slightly make the cradle holes larger so it's easier to slide the cradle on and off.

After removing the cart from the TI, I slide off the cradle and remove each wheel and place them all in the front hatch and close it up. All set to sail! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Add a "3rd wheel" and that thing will roll itself. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

domromer :
Of course you can use the scupper cart to transport your TI to the water, how else would you do it???.
I think what Hobie just wants everyone be very aware that because of the weight of the TI a standard scupper cart (like used on all their other boats) is no longer recommended without additional means of support.
The fix is to purchase the Hobie contoured cradle for the TI (you can get it here http://www.austinkayak.com/products/130 ... radle.html , or build your own with the same design (that's what I did) in order to transport the TI on a standard Hobie scupper cart (of course the cart has to be one of the ones that can carry 200 lbs). The cradle is in the catalog (near the scupper carts) It's around $30 bucks (very affordable). I have the HD card with the foam filled tires, and recommend that cart.
To be perfectly honest I have a much easier time transporting my TI with the AMA's removed (much easier to pull). I remove the AMA's and carry them separately down to the water, then put them on at the shore (they have nice carry handles and you can carry both together). I also have a cart with the grey air filled wheels (for sand) but seriously seldom use it. It takes much more effort to pull the boat with those air filled tires on everything except very soft dry (and deep) sand, then you thank your lucky stars you have the air filled wheels. For us that is less than 5% of the time that we need the air filled beach tires.
Typically I roll the boat off shore and out into waste deep water, put the rudder down install the mirage drives and remove the scupper cart. I store my scupper cart upside down in the rear scupper holes, I usually keep a spare life jacket back there, and the scupper cart and cradle sits on top of the life jacket (in the scupper holes), it's pretty much out of the way back there. If you have the air filled tires, you will notice that they are quite buoyant, I filled mine 1/3 full of water or slime (from walmart in the bike department) so they are easier to get under the boat in the water, though it does make the tires heavier, it's worth it in my opinion. Or you can do like Kayakingbob and tear the cart down and store in the front hatch (they tear down very quickly and easily).
We are out every weekend with our TI all year around, and always launch from beaches 99% of the time ( I don't like powerboat launches).
Obviously we live in Florida where it's always warm all year round, I don't know how the up north people do it when it's cold.
Hope this helps you
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
I don't know how the up north people do it when it's cold.

... pretty much the same but done to the cadence of knocking knees :wink:

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV