Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have a 2010 hull with the newer bigger rudder (not twist 'n stow) and broke the "down" rudder line.
It snapped outside the hull a few inches past the rudder pin, almost to where it connects to the rudder.

Looks like with about a 3foot length of line I can fix this.

What weight kevlar line is this rated

Part number for the line?
I'd like to buy enough line to replace left/right/up/down in necessary. Have other friends with Islands that I know will want to carry some line. So I'd like to get a bulk of it like 25'?

Please point me in the right direction, must go sailing again soon.

Also what size are the 2 Stainless Steel split pins set into to rudder to which the up & down lines attach to. Might need them too so part number or size?

TIA

Edit: Saw some 1/8" diameter 1050# test spectra braided spear gun reel line which also came in 550# test and 1.9 mm
wondering if that would work.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra%C2%AE-Bra ... d_sim_sg_3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Austin Canoe & Kayak has Hobie accessories. Here is a link to rudder line by the foot: http://www.austinkayak.com/products/632/Hobie-Mirage-Replacement-Rudder-Line.html They have other rudder line options.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Keith

I think what confused me is all the different sizes of line used. My old Hobie Sport uses a small line. An older Island w/ twist 'n stow has a little bigger line. Finally the newer Island with the big TI style rudder has a massive rudder line.

I obviously want the heaviest one but everything seems replaced with one type of spectra line part #81023001. Backyard Boats lists it as "Line Control 700lb. gray @ $.30 a foot - same price as Austin Kayak. My line that broke was white but this part number looks to be what I need.

I read somewhere that Hobie used a wax coated spectra line that caused problems and was replaced a few years ago.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:41 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The yellow line we use on the Islands is 1000 pound spectra, part number 81051001.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bcastile wrote:
The yellow line we use on the Islands is 1000 pound spectra, part number 81051001.

Hey thanks. I'd rather have the 1,000# spectra than the 750#. I kept looking at a new up/down line kit for Hobie which was a few years old and for the AI. It is definitely gray and was made for the twist n' stow. I compare that to the broken line on the newer AI with the big blade TI style rudder and the TI line is bigger.

Backyard Boats calls it 81051001 - LINE-CONTROL 1,000 lb, BEIGE @ $.32 / foot
Austin Kayak doesn't list it.

At only 2 cents more a foot getting the heavier correct line is a no brainer.

Thank you for chasing down the part number. It is not pictured anywhere in the accessories brochure.

BTW out of 5 Hobies I own and including those I sold I have never broken a rudder line. The spectra used is just that good. My TI style line broke because I had the rudder cleated down and the rudder stuck something quite hard while moving at a good speed. I had enough tail left to splice the line back to keep using the rudder.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need to replace rudder lines for my AI and also for friend`s AI.....thanks for the info on the spectra line.

Is this same 1000# line also suitable for replacing steering lines on the AI ?

Thanks.....John

Last edited by jb7 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ack does have it
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/136 ... der%20line
albeit .34/ft