Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No boom on 17.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a 16 and 18sx. I picked up a 88 17 today.

It had no boom? Owner said it didn't use one they didn't think. Huh.? I think they all did?

Not sure to try it, sell it or part it. I wanted the EPO rudders. Trailer is sail able... Also. Has a nice main and furling jib? That's not normal? Also has new still in package tramp with receipt for over 300. Black mesh.

If interest I may park it out, but I'd move to try it first next spring. But will I need a boom? Anyone got a spare?

Ron
Facebook. Ron Kramer

Post subject: Re: No boom on 17.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:14 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The 17 Sport does not have a boom or mast rotation control, but it does have a jib.
There should be a boomlet - about 18" long that fits on the clew of the main.

The 17 SE does not have a jib, but it has a full boom and a mast rotation control.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ah thanks Matt. Yes there is a track looking thing on the sail. Aft.
It has a jib. I was also confused by a. Spreader looking part? The boat is black but the spreader silver. I mainly boat it for it's EPO rudders. But it look interesting. I love the cut of the sail, seems almost like a large windsurfer. What is the difference between the feel and handling of a 17 vs. My 16 or 18. Which are soooooo different in themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 17 is a very fast boat. Great for single person sailing......... Higher winds, a 16 is not going to touch it. Lower winds, the 16 will/can get the advantage. Great boats

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sxrracer wrote:
The 17 is a very fast boat. Great for single person sailing......... Higher winds, a 16 is not going to touch it. Lower winds, the 16 will/can get the advantage. Great boats

Around here everyone says just the opposite... Phil Collins even offered that around a race course the 16 gains the advantage in double trapped breeze and above... Below that because of the boards and lighter crew weight the 17 is faster...

This of course talking about time around a course and not outright speed.. and both boats racing per class rules.. 1 up on the 17. (180lb crew).. 2 up on the 16... (285+lb crew) ect ect ect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 17 is a lot like the 18 because it has a very similar hull shape and the rigs are also quite similar (minus the jib). One-up, the 17 will feel like a more lively version of the 18, mostly due to lower overall boat weight. Two up, the 17 will feel like a pig compared to the 18 due to the reduced hull volume - it will sit very low in the water and drag.

Performance wise, I've found the 17 and 18 to be pretty even around the race course. When we race mixed fleets (17s & 18s starting together), neither boat consistently pulls away. It always seems to come down to who's the better sailor and who sailed a better race. I think they are very even.

17 vs. 16, I've noticed the 17 to be faster than the 16 upwind in a blow. The 16 guys will be sailing a little faster boatspeed, but at a much lower angle, so VMG of the 17 tends to be better. Downwind, the 16 guys tend to make up some ground since the 17 is at a bit of a disadvantage downwind without a jib. But all three boats are really pretty close together in speed I think.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the info. Since I don't need it and I buy and sell and part out - I have a friend that already wants it. though I'd love to keep it. At least if he has it - I can sail it on occation.

Our concerns. on the inside of both hulls (under front spreader) there are large long gelcoat cracks. And almost like a support inside has been pushed outward. (like a support for the front wing support) where the wing goes into the hull, and the bottom point would touch - I'm SURE there is massive support structure in the hulls. This is the point.

Seeing it worried me when I was gonna buy it, but there is NO FLEX at all, no soft spots on decks or anywhere on the hulls and these inner gel cracks are also very solid with no flex at all.

Is this common? is this a problem? I don't want to sell it to someone if there is a problem, esp a friend.
With the extras (newer sail and jib, epo's and trailer with parts and brand new in the package tramp) I figured the hulls if trashed were free. I could recoup my cost with the parts. So I bought, but wouldn't want to pass it on to a buddy if those inner hull areas are a problem?

It's a 88. Almost reminds me of a A class - I love the smaller straighter hulls. Wish it was still made. I'd love a new white one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rojoyinc wrote:

Our concerns. on the inside of both hulls (under front spreader) there are large long gelcoat cracks. And almost like a support inside has been pushed outward. (like a support for the front wing support) where the wing goes into the hull, and the bottom point would touch - I'm SURE there is massive support structure in the hulls. This is the point.

By the "front spreader" are you referring to the front crossbar? I've seen several Hobie 17s develop cracks along the inside of the hull, several inches below the deck lip starting by the front crossbar and in some cases extending several feet forward. I've never seen one fail from these cracks, but definitely a concern. The only structures inside the hulls are the two wing tube supports and the centerboard structure. Otherwise, the hull is hollow. I would recommend putting in a 5" access port behind the front crossbar so you can inspect the inside of the hull sidewall.

sm