Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage Drive Broken Part
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, I posted 2 days ago and said that I had to wait for it to be approved, but don't see it posted anywhere.

Anyone know the name of this broken part and what might have caused this?

Its a 2013 revolution 13.

I just put on the turbo fins and was the 1st time out on it, broke right away.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

That is an odd one. Don't think I have seen a failure like this one before. Maybe the drive was not in properly and the fin levered off... but hummm?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:01 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

sgia59 wrote:
Anyone know the name of this broken part and what might have caused this?
It's described as an "outhaul block". I believe it should be covered under warranty and replaced at no charge. If your dealer doesn't have one in stock, perhaps he will loan you one from another Drive until your part arrives so you don't have to wait.

Welcome to the forum! 8)

PS If you screw those fins out a little at the outhaul (brass knurled knob) so that about 1/8" is still in the slot, you will get better performance for less effort. :wink:

Last edited by Roadrunner on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner: Could you post a picture of what your saying. I just bought an outback and haven't tried it out yet.
Plus I sold parts for years. Is there a recommended List of parts to have on hand. Like the 10 top selling parts. I'm a little nervous about drive failures on the open water. I don't mind having some extra parts of my own. If It is a warranty Issue I can replace the part to my stock on hand and won't be down and out.
Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:34 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

SeaWeed wrote:
Roadrunner: Could you post a picture of what your saying. I just bought an outback and haven't tried it out yet.
This does not apply to standard fins, only to ST and ST Turbo fins. In the picture below, the clew outhaul is highlighted in red. You want to adjust it so the top edge of the fin tucks into the plastic outhaul block about 1/8" as shown. Compare this with the earlier pic showing the fin tucked in more or cinched up. The Green highlight shows a gap at the top of the leading edge of the fin (provided the mast is not bent). As the fin twists it develops its "pitch" (just like a propeller blade) by winding up the mast. This is where the thrust comes from. I look for about 1/4 to 3/8" play as a double check on the clew outhaul positioning. If this gap is closed, the fin can't twist as much and becomes harder to push, delivering less thrust.

Quote:
Is there a recommended List of parts to have on hand. Like the 10 top selling parts. I'm a little nervous about drive failures on the open water.
Personally I don't recommend wasting time carrying spare parts unless you're on an extended trip. Murphy's law says no matter what you carry, something else will break. It's also extremely difficult and risky to attempt repair while bouncing around on the water with wet hands -- your tools and parts may end up overboard. Not everyone agrees on this philosophy though.

A little known fact is that you can break a lot of parts and and the Drive will still work. If something breaks most people assume the drive no longer functions and they get out the paddle unnecessarily. You can have one fin fall off, any one cable (sometimes two) break, and the Drive will still get you home. Here's a link with more detail:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8240
(Sorry, some of the images seem to have disappeared over time, but you should get the idea).

IMO, the best policy is to frequently inspect, lube and adjust your Drive. Most problems give warning well before occurring. The only difficulty is knowing where to look. This comes with experience in many cases. Again, most users just use the Drive without inspection until something breaks. I've done that as well. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good post Road Runner :!: I agree with you on not carrying extra parts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Sorry... totally missed the question about part number:

81050001 OUTHAUL BLOCK (INJ/MOLD)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the replies, hobie dealer near me has one they will do as a warranty. Going to do what roadrunner reccommends with the gap and take it out Saturday. Let you know how it goes.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the information I'm a new owner and learning.