Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys what's up. I have a question for you guys that I've tried searching for but haven't quite found the answer to. Basically I want to know if Hobie 18sx wings will be compatible with a hobie 18 (year unknown) that presumably didn't come with wings originally, and if so what kind of special hardware I may need. I've read that some of the mounting hardware is just bolt on and can be found easily but I'm not sure what all that entails. I've also heard that the earlier models need fiberglass reinforcement on the front where the hull meets the trapeze? Anyway there's a wingless hobie 18 for sale somewhat near me and there are also 18sx wings for sale from another seller so I just want to know if it would be too much work to combine the two. As you can tell, I've never owned hobie cat before. I windsurf and sail an alcort sailfish haha. My friend took me out on his 1980 hobie 16 a month ago and it was one of the most fun experiences of my life. I wanted an 18 with wings so I could share that experience with my friends and family and be able to go out with a few more people comfortably. Any advise would be great, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Short answer is yes, wings can be installed on any model year H18. The platforms are all the same. There is some specialized hardware that needs to be mounted to the crossbars that allow them to accept the wings. Here's some info to get you up to speed...

http://www.w1dm.com/projects/hotline/12-2SpringHOTLINE.pdf

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/SX_Wings.pdf

sm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! I took a look at the 18 today. Turns out it was a 1981. It didn't look too bad from what I could tell but unfortunately my friend with the 16 couldn't come with me so I may have missed some big things. The mast was straight. Where the rudder was attached was all tight. Tramp was a little dry but probably ok. I just kind of got scared off by a fairly large soft spot that was a few inches behind the starboard dagger board hole. I just saw online that it may be a somewhat easy fix but it still spooked me enough not to pull the trigger today (which kinda sucks because it's about 4 hrs away). There were also some small repairs that looked like it was just a bondo type patch that was never was sanded or painted. There were some tiny bubbles that made me kind of wonder if the boat had been painted. The bottom of the hulls were ok but were worn a bit. The gel coat was definitely buffed by whatever it was dragged on. The owner said the hulls did not leak at all. I was a bit worried about the sealant around where the holes for the dagger boards meet the hulls. What ever was used (epoxy maybe?) was cracking a lot. I know I probably should have expected all this from a 30 year old boat but I'm just too inexperienced to know what's ok and what's not. Maybe you guys could shed some light on my very vague and likely confusing dilemma haha.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the soft spot isn't too large, you may be able to repair by simply injecting epoxy resin into the deck laminate.

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/delam.jpg

If it's a large area, you may be better off replacing the laminate or adding reinforcing bulkheads as described in a prior Hotline article...

http://www.w1dm.com/projects/HOTLINE/09-07-08%20HOTLINE.pdf

You may be able to place a shop lamp inside the hull and look at the deck behind the dagger board trunk to see if the inner fiberglass skin is cracked.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The epoxy injection is the method I thought I would try. The spot isn't that big (maybe a foot and a half long at max) and you have to put about 50% of your weight on it to make it crack. What do you think about where the hulls meet the daggerboard trunks(thanks for educating me on that one). Can I somehow reseal those without having to presumably saw the hulls apart? Maybe its a dont fix if not broken thing. Also the hulls were kinda damp from condensation. Is that normal?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How do you know your daggerboard trunks are leaking? Have you done a bubble test?

There is no point trying to fix something that isn't broken. If you suspect leaks in your hulls, the first thing you need to do is quantify how much the boat leaks and whether it's worth trying to fix. All of the Hobies I have owned have ended up leaking to some degree. Most would agree that a couple cups of water at the end of the day is acceptable. Half a gallon or more and you probably want to try to repair.

Before you can repair the leaks, you have to find them. Pressurize the hull and use a spray bottle (like a windex bottle) filled with soapy water to spray all hull joints and fittings, looking for bubbles. Bubbles = leaks.

Damp hulls are not uncommon but that doesn't mean they're OK. You don't want moisture to penetrate the fiberglass and get into the foam core of the hulls. The 18 has the benefit of having access ports. On my boat, I made screened covers that can be put over the access ports to allow the hulls to stay ventillated (dry) when not being used. You want to keep the inside of the hulls as dry as possible. I'd recommend you take the port covers off for at least a week during dry weather to allow air circulation in the hulls and dry them out.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No, I don't know if they leak. The owner told me that the hulls didn't leak. I was just worried when I looked down there and saw the cracking seal around the trunk and wondered if that was something that needs updated when it's that old and cracking. Ahhh, such a decision haha. Thanks for all your advice! Really want to join you guys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where are you located?

sm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm near Akron, OH. I just meant join you guys in sailing Hobies, not necessarily in person since I don't likely live near a cat sailing club or anything. I would primarily be sailing on a very small lake but have the options of the great lakes once I knew what I was doing. I'm sure there's a good presence up there on Lake Erie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For the wings look into hobie catalog for anchor plates 68190001 and mounting bar kit 65071001 and you will need to reinforce with fiberglas the inside of back hulls at crossbar saddles at the deck/hull joins. Aft port holes will be needed and also inside and outside shroud anchor plates 64100001. Wings put a significant leveraged load on hulls and they were not correctly designed for them but you can reinforce them to make it right. Look straight upward on back inside lip of hulls for cracks. For well cracks invert hulls and at 45 degrees pour reisin, one side at a time, as many times needed until crack stops sucking the resin. I did a full Hobie 18 restoration this summer and recommend spend lots of hours reading on this forum to get a good grasp as to what to do. There is a lot to learn but a sustained drive will take you through it. Look in detail at catalog and tht will be your map for repairs needed.