Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast tang wear
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello everybody:
I have a 2009 getaway, and a few parts are starting to get a little old. I have bought replacement shrouds, forestay and briddles, though I have not replaced them yet. I also bought a replacement mast tang as I have had one of those fail in a Hobie 16 (though that one was very old). What is happening to mine is that the hole when the shroud shackle goes is starting to get elongated because of wear, but I wonder if somebody knows which is the limit of wear that is acceptable for that hole, and how to measure the wear (maybe the distance from the hole to the edge of the stainless steel?). Does Hobie have any replacement recommendation for the tang?
Also, I do wanted to know which rivets should be used for the replacement tang, and if there are any other parts from the rigging that should be replaced eventually.

thanks a lot

Guillermo Zavala

Post subject: Re: Mast tang wear
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Significant wear is unusual, but if the rig is left upright... I could see it wearing over time.

8010181 RIVET POP 3/16x1/4 PH

8011291 RIVET CAP

You need 12 of each

There is a backing plate that could be knocked off. You might consider popping one extra rivet to hold it in place before removing the rivets.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have noticed mast tang wear on my boats as well (H17 & H18) where the main shackle connects (the large shackle which secures the shrouds and forestay wires). There is wear in the hole from the shackle pin working against the mast tang. I was a bit concerned about this at first, but now I don't actually think it's that big of an issue, here's why- as manufactured, the hole in the tang is a significantly larger diameter than the shackle pin (something like a 1/2" diameter hole for a 5/16" diameter pin). When the tang is new and the hole is perfectly round, the diameter difference leads to a point load between the pin and the tang. This causes the pin to wear into the tang. As the tang continues to wear, however, the edge of the hole will begin to conform more closely to the diameter of the pin and this effectively increases surface area between the pin and the tang and the wear stops (or at least slows down significantly). After about 1/8" of wear on the tang hole, the wear seems to have stopped. Now I definitely intend to continue monitoring this, but so far, I haven't seen it get any worse. On a Getaway, changing out the mast tang may not be that difficult, but on boats where the comptip is glued into the mast and the tang rivets through the comptip, it would not be a fun project.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Makes sense! Hopefully it'll be like that on my boat because it'll not be a fun project to do. On the Getaway the comptip is actually glued to the mast, and the tang is riveted to the comptip!