Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have safely stored my PA outside uncovered for years without trouble or damaging it, but this summer I was not able to take it fishing, and for some reason a green mold or algae formed on the outer hull. I want to prep it for winter and give everything a good seasonal cleaning. What is a good, SAFE hull cleaner that will kill the green stuff without damaging the hull?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a product called Mold Armor that I get at my local Home Depot. The company makes several varieties of cleaning solutions. Generally I just spray down one side of the PA, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then all the slime, etc just wipes right off. Been using it for over a year with no issues. If I do end up with some cypress gum/tar on the side, I usually clean that off with a little automotive bug/tar remover.

I do use a mild dish detergent in my wash bucket for overall cleaning, but the Mold Armor works great for getting the film off the side of the hull.

http://www.moldarmor.com/

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

magic eraser!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

badbill wrote:
magic eraser!

I use a Magic Eraser when needed. It all boils down to the water environment you're putting the boat in and what collects on the hull. I do know that if you do not clean the Cypress gum/tar off after you finish fishing in a lake with Cypress tress (or even a lot of duckweed), it will get to where it permanent stains the hull. A neighbor that I got interested in the Pro Angler bought 2 of them for himself and his wife to use. They have lakefront property and he was leaving the PAs on the dock uncovered. All the cypress droppings got on the tops of the PAs and now they are permanently stained.

I can't speak as much for the saltwater environment as I only fish there a few times a year, but the freshwater environment can vary a lot depending on where you live and the water environment. I'd be willing to bet you would never get any stains fishing Lake Amistad down on the Texas/Mexico border as that water is very clear.

The key seems to be cleaning the PA after each outing and not leaving it stored dirty.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No problem..... my PA sits inside my garage and my car sits in the driveway :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys for your advise. I am going to investigate the mold armor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The #1 product for getting rid of the scum you describe..."The Works - Rust, Lime & Calcium Remover". It is packaged very similar to Lime Away, but Lime Away does not work the same as this product. It's so good, you can just mist it onto the PA/Boat and watch the scum disappear. Trust me...this stuff works better than any other product. I've tried them all. I found The Works at Dollar General and The Dollar Tree. It's cheap.