Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stepping a HC-18 Mast
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just purchased a used HC-18 and will be taking delivery this weekend. I've sailed/owned HC-14's and HC-16's and I know that I can Step their mast easily. Any recommendations for stepping an HC-18 mast? I've seen a rig that acts like a fulcrum to step the mast using the trailer hitch. Is this commercially available? What is it called?

Thanks.

Last edited by danneskjold on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

the 18 isn't any harder than a 16 to step. I made a system for my Fox that used a self hanging block from the mast stand cradle. Used the winch cable attached to the forestay to raise, had crew hold it up and attached the forestay to the furler. Pretty easy. There are several systems available, I've used the ez-step before but found on shorter masts like the 18 it easier to step by hand. If someone lifts it at the rear crossbar you can get under it and use your legs to step it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the extra tall mast stand on my trailer and put the winch near the top. It is high enough it will lift the mast while it is resting in teh rear mast cradle. I use the winch attached to the forestay to do the hard work. I have my crew crank it up while I stabalize it side to side from the tramp. I the hold it up when fully stepped and have the crew attach the forestay.

I'm sure I could modify my setup to accommodate solo stepping but I have not taken the time to do so. It would involve adding the second set of trap wires so I could use one set to stabalize when teh mast is low and one more wire to do the lifting.

I have stepped the mast without the winch. It can be done, but is not worth the effort. It is hard to lower it after a long day on the water.

You will be fine. Good luck!

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I built a telescopic mast stand for my trailer. Then I have a winch at a comfortable height with a pulley at the top of the mast stand. The cable from the winch goes through the pulley and with the mast stand at the extended position I connect the cable to the forstay and crank the mast up and down. I have two helpers hold the trap lines (one on each side) to keep the mast in the centre as it goes up and down. No effort needed on anyones part. I found stepping by hand without this set up too much strain (I wanted to be fresh before the sailing and I am beat after a good day sailing).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

just posted this pic in another section of this forum. so i will post here as well. i have a homemade rear mast cradle. and have an elecrtric winch on my mast stand, that has a remote cable long enuff for me to stand on the tramp. i solo step my mast often. the rear cradle keeps the mast at a comfortable angle for me to grab and guide up i also fasten the winch to the forstay. it really does work well.[img][img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c259/nytelyter/rearmastsupport.jpg[/img][/img]

1981 Hobie 18 "Knot A Clew" sail #5445