Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was lucky enough to take part in the 2013 Hobie Worlds kayak fishing event in Victoria, Australia recently. After the event, we moved to a place called Mornington which was near Melbourne. Our visit coincided with a run of red snapper in Port Phillip bay, and we were eager to have a crack at them in the kayak.

Local kayak fishing guide and Hobie Australia team member Matt Petrie was kind enough to take us out - he put us right on the fish. We were using very light tackle from the Hobie PA12's... 6 foot 2-4lb class rods and a small 500 size reel loaded with 4kg nanofil line and a 6kg leader. We were using Berkley gulp 4 inch minnows in watermelon and nuclear chicken colors (!!!) on TT 1/8 oz. 2/0 jig head hooks.

The sport was great on the ight gear, as you can see from the video... enjoy...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz_WWN-Wbjo[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What a cool adventure!

Hey DF, how did the 2012 fishing in Texas go? We passed along a few emails about fishing locations but missed the report. I'm back in Texas now and happened to move from Scotland at the worst time since the weather all summer and through most of the fall was excellent for fishing, go figure... I'm missing those excellent tasting Cod and Pollack! I had some excellent adventures and met some really good people while there, beautiful country.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Crazy Yak wrote:
What a cool adventure!

Hey DF, how did the 2012 fishing in Texas go? We passed along a few emails about fishing locations but missed the report. I'm back in Texas now and happened to move from Scotland at the worst time since the weather all summer and through most of the fall was excellent for fishing, go figure... I'm missing those excellent tasting Cod and Pollack! I had some excellent adventures and met some really good people while there, beautiful country.

Texas was great - we caught a load of Bass, and then after the event, we managed to fish clear lake nr. Houston for some redfish and specled trout with some great Hobie fishing guides. I loved the people, the place the fishing, and esp. the weather ! Scotland is an amazing place too - I wish I lived closer ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dizzyfish wrote:
Crazy Yak wrote:
What a cool adventure!

Texas was great - we caught a load of Bass, and then after the event, we managed to fish clear lake nr. Houston for some redfish and specled trout with some great Hobie fishing guides. I loved the people, the place the fishing, and esp. the weather ! Scotland is an amazing place too - I wish I lived closer ;-)

If you find yourself back in Texas look me up; we have excellent marsh fishing year round and offshore fishing during the warmer months.