Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've done very little fishing in my life, but I'd like to get into striper fishing in the chesapeake bay. Was wondering if anyone could recommend some good reading materials to get me started. I need to understand just about everything (rods, reels, rigs, striper habits/depths) cause Bill Dance only fishes for bass.

I've been surf casting for stripers once and still have two 10' rods (one medium action, one fast action) with spinning reels, but based on what I've read here, the rods are too long and spinning reels may not be the best choice. My AI came with nice rod holders, so I'm set there. Thanks for any suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Larry….

Congrats on setting your sights on Striper Fishing fr a Yak….
I like "On The Water" website for fishing tips here in New England….
I noticed in their book section a couple of books by Milt Rosko on fishing for Stripers.
His books are quite good, I grew up in Chicago, so this was all new to me, too!

Also, there are many good kayak websites/blogs on kayak fishing, so I would start by looking around there.
Are you located in the northern or southern sections of the bay. I do know that the northern source of the bay has great fishing where
the Susquehanna enters north of Baltimore. Near Norfolk is more ocean fishing than freshwater or brackish, but there are
more species you can target. The big thing is Safety on the water - you can't just walk away from a problem!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the resources. I found Stipersonline.com And was provided with a recommendation to dad Lenny rudows book or books. I expect to fish the lower part of the bay; from at Mary's md to Norfolk.
I the safest person I know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I often sail up around Colonial Beach in the Lower Potomac, but haven't done much fishing (yet). If you come across any good spots, post 'em!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

jerinaldi wrote:
I often sail up around Colonial Beach in the Lower Potomac, but haven't done much fishing (yet). If you come across any good spots, post 'em!

you betcha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All week hundreds of birds have been slamming the water various places in the Choptank river just off of Cambridge. Taking my AI out to troll around for a while. Going to take my 8' collapsible rod and my 10' surf rod. If I get into a frenzy situation, I'll start casting a sting silver or plug into the batch. Will write in to let you know how I do.