Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Minn Kota 30 lb. thrust unit for my Pro 12. What has been working for you

in group size, amps, brand etc. Talking to different brand merchants, I'm getting confused.

My usage would be a few miles out and back to get me to the fishing spots. Plan to paddle

the rest of the time.

Bonjoe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I utilize a Watersnake Venom 34lb thrust. To power that I have the Marine Max battery from Walmart, size 27 I believe. Plenty of juice to get various locations. We then use the pedals while fishing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NO! don't waste your time with the Group 27, it's too heavy takes to long to charge and there's no place to put it. Use 2 NF-22 AGM 55Ah batteries ,that gives you 110Ah's, they can be stowed inside the center hatch under the seat between the scupper tubes, it's a perfect fit with maybe 1/16" clearance and I use a bungee cord to secure it, this also gets some of the weight off the bow of the 12, which will make it handle better.
Use your pedals to get there and the motor to fish, fishing without the motor sucks, you have very little control, and you have no reverse. When you use the motor you see the flaws in peddling

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have not added a TM to my PA yet but I run a 90amp hour Cabelas AGM.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Check out the Deka 8AU1. It has 35ah of power and it has a reasonable weight of about 27lbs. My other advice would be to check out adding a PWM(Pulse Width Modulation) circuit if your TM does not have it.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Options vary from cheap lead-acid (preferably AGM-variety thereof) batteries to the bees-knees LiFePo4 lithium.

Lead: heavy, but cheap. Ez to charge. Steady loss of voltage/power when under load. Limited number of charge cycles (but not a concern really for our application).

LiFePo4: 1/3 of the weight for equal capacity, thousands of charge cycles, steady voltage/power. Charging requires oversight and/or special charger/Protection circuit board. Need to be careful when discharging, to not go below certain voltage per cell.

I lucked out and got 4 100AH LifePo4 cells on ebay, @ $80 per. I arranged them in 2 packs of 2 cells and this way I can fit it into the center compartment of my PA14. Now I have about 30 miles range on the water and don't have to be afraid about running outta juice. ever :) Still carry my Mirage with me , for JIC

I posted in-depth on the subject in stripersonline, under kayaking forum, last year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can anyone confirm this width on a 2015/16 PA14? I have a Bassyaks kit and I'm scoping out batteries but my boat doesn't arrive until Jan.
Thanks all
Brian

SteveK wrote:
NO! don't waste your time with the Group 27, it's too heavy takes to long to charge and there's no place to put it. Use 2 NF-22 AGM 55Ah batteries ,that gives you 110Ah's, they can be stowed inside the center hatch under the seat between the scupper tubes, it's a perfect fit with maybe 1/16" clearance and I use a bungee cord to secure it, this also gets some of the weight off the bow of the 12, which will make it handle better.
Use your pedals to get there and the motor to fish, fishing without the motor sucks, you have very little control, and you have no reverse. When you use the motor you see the flaws in peddling