Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For those that know me, I am a long time TI owner and have been working very hard the last couple years trying to develop the Tri-power capabilities of my Tandem Island.
By utilizing the human powered pedal system, the wind and sails, and an auxiliary power system (either hybrid gas or solar electric) all at the same time the AI/TI becomes one of the fastest and most versatile boats available anywhere. Basically I can go out and have a great time sailing the whole day for about a buck in fuel, it makes no difference if there is any wind or not, and the actual wind direction is insignificant (even sailing directly up wind is easy)
When utilizing the tri-power capabilities there is no time that you need to stay home because there is no wind or very light winds.
I live in south Florida and 10 months out of the year the typical winds around here are typically 4-6mph. I take my TI out every weekend all year round and pedal my TI an average of 15-25 miles per week (this is my exercise program) so I'm pretty used to pedaling.

I'm sure all island owners have been out in very low winds and have discovered that the TI in 5-6mph winds will only go as fast as you want to pedal, typically 3-4 mph. The stock TI sails at around .6 of available wind speed on average so in low winds this is not very fast and can become quite boring. I suspect most TI owners prefer to just stay home when there is little to no wind, but you don't have to, I actually have even more fun in low winds now because I don't have to deal with all the big waves and chop, and the boat literally flies......

There is a thread about the ultimate Tandem Island and all it's history here ( viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33720&start=285)
It would take someone days of reading to go thru all the history and modifications on that thread so I thought I would make a documentary video showing some of the history and the reasons for what is going on with the boat and why (saves reading through all that history).

This video which is about 15 minutes long has at the end a video I made showing off the capabilities of the boat, (after posting that video on the Ultimate TI thread I realized that without knowing the history or the thinking behind what makes this boat so special, people just wouldn't understand.

The movie explains all the development (about 2 yrs) and the reasons for everything. The last 5 minutes are best viewed on a big screen in high def with the stereo cranked up (LOL).
Hope you enjoy it.

Bob

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dgLYAfCuEw&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is a really well-done video, Bob. The text made it work for me, since it explained things. The video on whole, however, convinced me more than ever that I will NEVER do anything like that to my boats. I admire what you have done (although the hybrid motor detracts from it in my mind.) If you were competing in the American Cup, your rig (w/o hybrid motor) would be great. I think your work and my "Expedition" thread bookend the AI/TI experience.

Thanks for the video. Terrific job.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Keith,

Yea I think your right we are both at the far extremes of what Island boats can to, "plus everything in between"

I thought about the first video, and realized after posting it that unless some knows me and my story it's just some frumpy old fat guy sailing around to creepy music ( LOL), so I made my first documentary explaining it all.

I'm working on trying to eliminate the supplemental power requirement currently in the design (ie.. the gas motor).

Basically the wing is just a giant amplifier that amplifies the wind passing over it, unfortunately this requires enough forward motion to make the chain reaction start. I have tried with just the pedal drives (pure human power) but cannot generate enough power to make the wing work in no wind. I even added a pulley system to my TI so I can pedal both sets of pedals from the front seat, and still cannot generate enough speed.
With two strong peddlers I can eliminate the motor, but we get tired out after a few hundred yards.
It will take me another year to complete but I have designed a wing main sail (replacing the TI's mainsail) that should make it possible to propel the boat with just the pedal power (eliminating the supplemental gas or electric power requirement). Well that's my goal anyway.
Currently I can only sail faster than the wind upwind, once I get that new mainsail completed I'm hoping to be able to sail 2x wind speed on all points of sail. But like I said I'm at least a year or two away from all that.
Bob

It's just a hobby and I have a lot of fun just going out and using the stuff.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, Bob, it is just a hobby, but what fun!

When you get that main wing sail, you will definitely have my attention. I might even think about copying it.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great work Bob, I always look forward to seeing how you work things out on your journey of invention. :D

Post subject: Topper
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

with the furler jib on the way thoughts turn to the topper.

I have concerns that a straight rod, front to back, may suffer bending if not strengthened as Bob has done with his top brace. So i am considering laser cutting this from stainless sheet and favour the top option.
I would think 5mm should do it without being too heavy. Ali would be better but you cant laser it.

whaddaya think?

(sorry now notice i have this in the wrong thread so am going to start a new one about my build)

CC