Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello everyone
I have been seeing a lot of posts in my search for wet arse and special scupper plugs. I have been doing extensive searches on solutions for this I bought the gray with green inserts only to find they didn't fit :cry: :cry: but finally I found these. http://www.h2okayaks.com/engine/shop/product/52851/Pair+Medium+Kayak+Gear+Self+Draining+Scupper I will purchase some next week and then post my findings. hope this helps some others out there

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ryderfzr wrote:
hello everyone
I have been seeing a lot of posts in my search for wet arse and special scupper plugs. I have been doing extensive searches on solutions for this I bought the gray with green inserts only to find they didn't fit :cry: :cry: but finally I found these. http://www.h2okayaks.com/engine/shop/product/52851/Pair+Medium+Kayak+Gear+Self+Draining+Scupper I will purchase some next week and then post my findings. hope this helps some others out there

I'm hangin' on the edge of my seat with anticipation - let me know of shipping cost/time, and if they fit and function properly!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Will watch with interest too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It is of course a good idea to get the water back to the ocean. But then your arse is already wet and more water will come in (from the same source and by the same reason the first water reached your arse).

I found that the only fix that works is to raise the seat about 8-12 cm.
There are many ways to perform this and lots of good ideas in this forum.
For me that is step number 1. Already done and works great.
Now the slushing water below the raised seat is really a minor problem.
I chill my drinking water (or a beer) there.

br
thomas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ryderfzr wrote:
hello everyone

Good work finding these Ryderfzr. I am interested as to how you have gone with testing them?

I have done quite a bit of experimentation with modifying the Hobie skupper plugs and with making my own. The best valves seem to be the ones that I got from a SCUBA diving regulator exhaust valve or a snorkel drain valve as these allow water out with verry little resistance. These ones you have found look to use the same type of silicone valve so should work well.
Which size (diameter) did you end up getting?

Kal-P-Dal,
I also agree that raising the seat is a good idea but I think a combination of both is the best solution.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I fitted the syphon pump one-way valves, which obviously work well as an adjunct to raising the seat, and can supply a couple for $AUS20 including postage. Secure with a dab of silicone in the bottom of the seat scupper. You can still use the screw-in stoppers if you want to close the scuppers.