Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Towing with ATV
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a pro angler 12 and would like to know if anyone knows if their is an attachment or universal connector that I could hook up to my ATV for towing it on the cart. I have to haul it quite a ways, If anyone has seen some kind of device for doing this or has an idea I would appreciate it.
Ken

Post subject: Re: Towing with ATV
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Caution for towing a cart without bearings. Our carts all have bushings and would over heat if towed fast or long.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you, but not a concern, I would pull it only a couple hundred yards and at the same speed as walking with it. I just need a way to connect the two. I am sure someone has done this before. Need something to grab hold of the grab handle on the front of kayak.
Thanks for any ideas.
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kencard wrote:
Thank you, but not a concern, I would pull it only a couple hundred yards and at the same speed as walking with it. I just need a way to connect the two. I am sure someone has done this before. Need something to grab hold of the grab handle on the front of kayak.
Thanks for any ideas.
Ken

Do a search for cart damage on this forum - there's been guys who did the same thing - and their tires rubbed a flat spot into the hull bottom - be extremely careful towing a kayak on a cart - we don't recommend it at all. Every.

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ken, truth is, once you go with 4 wheels, you won't really need an ATV, but it's certainly possible. Although not cheap.

Take a look at the "Batcart" thread and videos and see if it's close to your concept. It's done with standard 30cm Wheeleze Beach Carts..

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=34323&hilit=batcart&start=0

Loading:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inwC0IFirYM[/youtube]

Unloading:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEfY_rXS-to[/youtube]

Others have done this lately using the new hobie cradle carts.

Frankly, I would just adapt a cheap garden cart. Big balloon tires can be unstable.

http://www.amazon.com/FR110-2-Removable-Pneumatic-400-Pound-34-Inches/dp/B003OANHEY/ref=pd_sim_indust_1

Some, like Gorilla carts, even come with an ATV hitch option.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So what your saying is I have to use caution when walking it. Because that's all I am doing just idling down to the water.
Their is no difference, but it wont matter if I cant get an idea how to attach
Thanks though for looking out for me
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not exactly. The ATV has WAY more torque and no sensitivity, especially on an incline, soft or irregular surface, so walking it is a very different deal. Even without a lead foot, you could apply loads that you never would by hand. Also, you might be tempted to overload the carts using a power drive. Just be aware they were never built to take this.

A gorilla cart is cheap and will work fine, you just need to extend the handle with an aluminum sleeve. I would not haul it from the hobie bow handle.

If you go with a 4-wheel solution, you still need a viable plan to get it on and off your platform by yourself.

Can you let us know how it works out, whatever you decide?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kencard:
If it were me I would go to harbor freight and just pick up one of their trailers for $140 bucks.

Here is mine which I use as both a trailer and/or a beach cart (kind of like the Cat trax carts they use on the Hobiecats)

I had it up to 60 mph pulling it with my wifes scooter. I can also pull it with her bike

It actually rolls thru the sand really well surprisingly, I just leave it on the shore just like the cat guys do with their cat trax wheels.

I made it in two separate pieces so it can either be used as a trailer or as a beach cart. Here it is hook up to the car.

I actually store my TI on the cart in the garage, it's actually pretty easy to pull the TI up onto the trailer (actually super easy), but when using it as a cart, if the cart had a handle up to the front it would be easier to load on the beach cart (I don't have a handle now but plan to add one). Currently when towing the TI with it as a cart I just clip the front of the bowsprit to the frame on the scooter (the scooter has a strong frame to support the basket in the back). If you made a handle to stick out past the front of the boat, that could double as the hitch ( I believe most atv's have a half in hole in the back for a pin hitch (like on garden tractors, well at least they used to I haven't looked at one in 20 yrs))
Here is a pic of the back half of the trailer (which doubles as a beach cart). The aluminum in the front is removed by pulling two clevis pins.

Here is a pic of the detachable front section, that would stay with the car (it breaks down and can be put in the back of the SUV)

Here is the whole trailer

I bought a utility trailer at Harbor Freight for $140 bucks (I think it was on sale at the time), the extra aluminum and hardware I think was around $150 bucks extra, and I built the whole works in 1 or 2 weekends with just a hack saw and powerdrill. I've been using a while now with no issues, and have quite a few highway miles on it now.

My plan is once the steel rectangular frame begins to rot (we only go in salt water) I will replace the steel with 2 inch aluminum U channel, the trailer currently weighs about 140 lbs, by replacing the steel with aluminum I think I'll take off nearly half the weight (the aluminum version will be much lighter construction.

The nice thing about buying an already licensed trailer (comes with a title and all the safety specs from Harbor freight), you don't have to have it inspected to get a trailer license (if you ever plan to register it and drive it on the roads).

Just some possible ideas for you
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier wrote:
Kencard wrote:
Thanks for any ideas.
Ken

Do a search for cart damage on this forum - there's been guys who did the same thing - and their tires rubbed a flat spot into the hull bottom - be extremely careful towing a kayak on a cart - we don't recommend it at all. Every.

Best of luck.

Why make a cart and sell a cart and make it for your kayaks if you dont recommend it...ever?

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand the reasoning behind the comment

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yaknewbie :
I read into what Hobie said as they don't recommend towing a kayak behind a vehicle (ever). The cart is intended to be used to haul the kayak to and from the water by hand. They are not saying don't use their carts, they are just saying don't tow them behind your vehicle (an atv is a vehicle), what part of the what they said is so difficult to understand.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kencard:
The PA has a carry handle on the front, why couldn't you just add a hook on the back of your ATV for the handle to rest on (or just a bungy to the back of the seat), why would you need anything fancy or formal. On my TI setup that's basically all I did ( I added a clip under the seat of the bike to clip the kayak to), it would be even easier with the PA because of the big handle in the front of the PA.
Keep in mind there are no bearings in the axles, and those air filled tires are not design to do any distance or speed, and pulling a kayak on a scupper cart, lets say down a trail will be tricky because it will be very tipsy, and tip over easily.
Just trying to help
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is no doubt I am a newbie. From what I have read, which is limited, the cart will leave groovesbeing moved by person also. That is where my questioning comes in. The grooves are caused from the collars slipping down allowing the cart wheels to rub. Yes I understand the bushings and speed heating them. So if I have a very long portage with just the yak on the cart, the heat will not build due to the distance travelled? Whats the difference if an atv is used at walking pace? My A.D.D had me wondering about the comment.....as I said, it wasnt a dick question. Your reply came off with a bit of attitude though, just my opinion. Besides, I wasnt asking for your opinion, just the poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Al right you guys thanks for the ideas, I still have not come up with a good solution, but not giving up. I need something rigid as the PA will chase or hit the back of the ATV going down hill I saw a coupler between a snowmobile and a cart that might be adaptable. Once I figure it out I will post a photo.
Thanks again for any ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yaknewbie:
I apologize I totally mis-understood your point altogether, I thought you were commenting on why Hobie doesn't recommend towing a kayak behind a vehicle with their carts, and thought your comment to be why would anyone make and sell a cart that you can't tow with your car (at least that's the way I read what you said). and couldn't understand how you missed their point.

However the point you were trying to make is about the grooves in the bottom of the hull from the collars slipping or missing and damaging the hull (I missed that totally). I have had 7 Hobies and 4 of those kayaks have permanent grooves cut into the underside of the hull from missing or slipping collars (the carts did not come with any collars at all until recently). I agree with you the basic design of the cart for those reasons has always been very weak. Your point is very valid. I never towed any of my other kayaks behind anything, just walking from the water up to my car (about 60 ft) with the kayak on the scupper cart, yet most of my kayak hulls were damaged just from normal use.

I'm aware this used to be a much bigger problem with older boats and carts, and many people came up with temporary fixes here and there like adding tennis balls, or pieces of pipe, etc to the scupper cart to prevent the damage. In recent years, I no longer have that problem, I don't know if it's because I'm smarter about it and don't let it happen or, if they have improved their cart design and it's now a non-issue (I have no idea which is true)
I was only trying to help the OP with suggestions and stuff I have done myself, trying to do something similar to what he is doing. Seeing ideas and solutions from others I was hoping would pop a possible solution for him after seeing what others have done and that's it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've wondered the same thing. I fish one lake with a long and fairly steep boat ramp. I've hand-pulled my Prangler 14 up that ramp - once. Thought I was going to have a heart attack (which at age 67, one DOES think about - seriously). The tyrants of the ramp won't allow me to drive to the water and load up there; takes too much time and space, they say. I've put permanent spacers under the bushings on my scupper cart so there are no worries about rubbing the hull, and wondered if I couldn't just tie the front carry handle of the Prangler to my trailer hitch and SLOWLY pull it up that 100 yards of steep ramp. Walking speed is walking speed, even if it's more like wheezing speed.