Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I read the reviews on the HD version, one of which said that the HD was the same as the regular version and don't waste your money. I bought it on my tablet first, then installed it on my phone. Both versions came up in the search so I don't know what happened for you. We will have compare them side by side some time! Are coming to the EC again this year? Maybe then?

Cheers!

j

Chekika wrote:
KM7--the only one that was offered was the HD, and according to the description, was for tablets only.

The smartphone version might be the same thing, but cheaper ($9.99). I only have a dumb phone--which easily saves the cost of the Navionics app on my smart tablet, almost every month.

Keith

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Jesse,

Yes, we will be at the EC2014 this year. We have campground site #4 reserved Feb 26-28. We will have our AIs over there. Yeah, lets compare the phone app vs. tablet app. Josh Morgan (aka TideTraveller) also has the phone app, but I didn't look at his when I had a chance. When are you going to be at Ft. Desoto?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Please do compare them. I don't think anyone has done a serious review of these yet. It would be helpful to start this as unique thread, which is sure to grow over time.

Navionics has vector based maps, so I don't know how much additional data an iPad "HD" version could provide. In fact, I seem to be able to zoom 50% further into the overlay maps on the phone, showing me much more "detail".

Their advanced map option seems worth having. Maybe the only one worth buying. If you fish, maybe the yearly update subscription to get more detailed bathymetry. I hate seeing data updates sold like overpriced razor blades though.

All that being said, I don't think a 9" tablet even belongs on our small wet boats, especially in challenging conditions. The wind profile alone is one reason to leave it at home. But on a monohull or powerboat, it rocks.

The good news is NAVIONICS now has user accounts that allow you synch your routes and data across devices. Plan it on an iPad, sail it on an iPhone, for instance…

I've gotten my $$ worth out of the iPhone app, many times over.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The image I showed earlier of the Flamingo area here in the Everglades National Park was an overview:

But you can zoom in on that much more, for example, if the previous view is called Level 4, this might be called Level 3:

Here would be Level 2:

This is Level 1:

You can "zoom" in further, but in this area, no further detail is revealed. I'm impressed. This is a great app, but, yes, maybe we can get together and compare the $9.99 version vs the $49. I am going to get my monies worth, because I don't pay a monthly phone service fee to use it. My dumb phone monthly fee is negligible (free?) on our monthly bill.

I have no problem taking my Galaxy tablet out on the AI. I just put it in the large Drypak bag and tether it on--not a problem. What makes the tablet great for most people is the large, easily readable screen.

I'm done! I'm supposed to be going on a camping trip tomorrow down to Flamingo and out to MidCape--the southernmost tip of mainland USA. It is forecast to be 16 mph wind, hi 62, lo 42 deg F--and that is on Key Largo. It will be colder and windier on Cape Sable.

(I'm retired so I could go on Friday, a day later, but I hate that excuse!)

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ozjoel wrote:
DILDO KEY BANK....
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

yes i have a immature sense of humor.

Chekika wrote:
I hope I'm not the only one who does not understand the joke???

Keith

Well it's hard not to speculate how it got that name.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

^^^^^^
ba boom tish.

to my northern hemisphere hombres.

down here "dildo" is an apparatus a woman may or may not use by herself that replicates the male reproductive organ.

yes, very immature
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let's end this on a higher note. According to Wikipedia "Dildo Key Bank" is named after the Dildo Key, a small island in the area. It is named for a Dildo Cactus (Acanthocereus Tetragonus) a native species. I'll leave it to people, with more imagination than I have, to speculate on that.

I'm going camping. Windy today (Thu), no wind tomorrow--fishing day, windy on Sat & Sun. First, real "winter" weather we have had. I'm not going to miss it to test my gear, on the water and in camp. See you next week or on Cape Sable this weekend.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Children!

Everyone knows a "dildo" is an extinct flightless bird.

You can see the similarity

Image[/quote]

Have a great trip, Keith.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOHUHU wrote:
Children!

Everyone knows a "dildo" is an extinct flightless bird.

You can see the similarity

thats a dodo bird.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodo

didlo cactus..... bwahahahahahah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought she was a blonde, good looker that sang the song 'White Flag'.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Russ, I bet I wasn't the only one who needed to go to google :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My camping trip—I crashed

I had to cancel my 4-day camping trip out of Flamingo to MidCape—16 mi away. I mis-judged the winds. From the forecast, I expected winds of 18 mph. Instead, when I launched winds were in the neighborhood of 25 mph with gusts to 30 mph, and they definitely caught me off-guard. They also seemed to have a westerly component—a headwind, which was not totally unexpected, but not what I had hoped.

I was up at 4 am to finish my packing and loading. Down at Flamingo, nobody stopped by as I loaded my boat; but at launch, there were a number of fellows looking, asking questions, and giving advice. One tourist insisted on getting a picture with me—took about 6 tries before another tourist was able to use his iPhone to get the picture—he was very happy. Another fellow, very friendly, said he wanted a picture so he could “give it to the Coast Guard when they are looking for you.” I didn’t get a picture because I forgot to bring my waterproof Nikon 100. I launched totally confident that I would make Cape Sable. After about an hour battling very strong winds and tough chop, I turned back. When I landed a tourist came running up and exclaimed: “You were really traveling fast. Have you ever heard of the WaterTribe?” Here is a 2¼ min video showing the first few minutes after my launch.

After 15 hrs from start to finish, I was home licking my wounds. I realized that I hadn’t given enough thought to this trip. I still need to cut down weight by (1) taking a minimum amount of water—it was going to be cold, so, I could have gotten by on ¾ gal/day of water—a savings of 8 lbs; (2) no fresh food—my small cooler weighted about 14¼ lbs with frozen water bottles & food. W/o fresh food, I could even pack a bag of food today for my next trip. Nothing wrong with throwing a couple bananas and 2-3 apples in your boat. I was sloppy about packing my boat. You must keep weight out of the bow. Any heavy bags should be slid in along the gunnels. I took my large, less-airy tent because it was going to be windy and cold, instead of a smaller, lighter tent—cost: 4.5#. All-in-all, I could have cut my weight by over 26#—that is significant. There are other ways to save weight—take 1 rod/reel instead of 2, take less fishing gear, etc., etc. Your bow needs to be packed light to help it ride over chop rather than cut through and dive under waves. All water and Gatorade bottles need to be put in or on the stern. There must be more….

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith, as they say in aviation circles "any landing you can walk away from is a good landing". You didn't crash, no damage, all you lost was 15 hours. :) :)

You are certainly not the first to abort a trip due to unexpected conditions.

Better luck next time eh?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow Keith!
That submarine sequence in your Youtube link brought memories from my recent trip across Tampa Bay to City Pier in Anna Maria from Sand Key where something similiar happened to me several times on the downwind return leg (each time causing me to reef down a little more!). My winds were something similiar in magnitude to your situation. You getting it on video was really great although the experience is sorta harrowing!

And that video was just the first few minutes of your trip... I can imagine how much worse it probably got!

You don't know how much I was so wanting to get out there with you on this trip but I'm still stuck with this emergency kitchen project which keeps getting bigger and bigger...
but I've been watching and I would still have enjoyed the attempt...
hope you got something out of it.

Don

2005 Outback Red
2011 Adventure Blue converted to an Island
2015 Tandem Island Red

E-mail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Practicing your pitchpoles, eh? Good work. :lol:

You were really glad that mirage drive was tethered, I imagine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 80  Next