Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New PA owner
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What's up guys? I'm both new to the forums and to Pro Anglers. I live in Dickinson, Tx which is less than a 15 minute drive from Galveston. I have been saltwater fishing for around 6 years now and I'm totally addicted. I'll give you a little history of how I got here.... I had never owned a kayak before. I went to the ACK Demo Days in Missouri City earlier this year (that's in Texas for you foreigners...lol). I tested 13 different yaks. One of the yaks I tried was the PA14. I took it out and my legs were on fire within under 100'. I immediately turned around and went back in. The Hobie rep that was there asked what I thought (remember that they are there to get you to buy their stuff). I told him that I didn't like it at all and what it did. He told me that I was crazy and walked off. I got great info from the reps for Moken, OK (the rep even let me paddle his personal ride), WS and Native. The Hobie rep wasn't quite as nice. To make a long story short, I ended up getting a totally loaded brand new urban camo Trident 15. I realized after a few trips that my shoulder wasn't doing well with heavy paddling (old man with previous shoulder injuries). Last Sunday I went fishing with some buddies and one of them had rented a PA14 from FTU. I asked if I could try it one last time. I LOVED IT! All the guy at Demo Days had to do was take the time to realize that the pedals and seat weren't set up for me and I would have bought one on the spot.
That brings us to now. I decided to go back to ACK yesterday and try to work a deal to get a PA. They just so happened to have one 2013 PA12 remaining that they didn't realize was there. I made the deal, put a down payment on it and will be picking it up next Tuesday. In the meantime, I have a loaner PA14 in the back of my truck and I'm leaving right after posting this to go fishing in Clear Lake with some buddies. Mine is the green one and I LOVE it. It's amazing what a difference a little set up can do. Unfortunately, I lost around $900 in the deal, but I honestly think it was worth it to get a PA. I just wish that the rep had been a little more patient and I would have gotten a PA right off the bat and saved that extra money.
Either way, I'm here now and will be in my brand new PA next week. I found these forums last night and have been soaking up all the info that I can. I'm sure that I'll have a lot of questions and won't have any significant input for a while, but I look forward to learning from you guys and fishing from my new PA.

Post subject: Re: New PA owner
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

LOL! Welcome to the Hobie addiction...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It absolutely is! I took the loaner PA to a spot that I've fished a few times in my Trident. What a difference! I traveled much further than before and wasn't even close to tired!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Welcome to the game Spectre5922! I too just bought a PA14 from ACK at the boat show here in Houston a few weeks back. Love it! It's is by far the most comfortable fishing experience I have ever had in a Kayak. Plus the accessories...when does it stop? Every time I'm out I think of something more to add or twink. Just ordered some non-slip mats from Sea-Dek and hopefully will post some picks when I'm done. Can't wait for warmer weather when the fish start to move back into the bays. Enjoy the ride!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love the fact the you really don't have to drill any holes in it to do anything. I have a Railblaza mount on the rail for my light and don't even have to drill holes for a fish finder. I removed the tackle management trays on the floor and added the Hobie bucket for soft plastics. I'll eventually mount rails on the starboard for other accessories. I don't even have to drill for the anchor trolley! There are already brass inserts for all of the screws in the kit.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the PA family and the addiction called kayak fishing!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass