Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where do you mount AMAs?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We're eventually getting sail kits for our Revos 11 & 13 but figure the AMAs would also be good for fishing. I don't want them in front, they'd get in the way. Directly behind the seat's the most common but that's really got to foul up paddling when needed. How far back has worked for anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Joel_T,

Check out this thread: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45264

My preferred mounting location on the Revo 13 was just forward of the rear hatch. I found that this placement did not interfere with my paddling. The great thing about using the track is that you don't have to commit to a fixed mounting location.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wndrfl wrote:
Joel_T,

Check out this thread: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45264

My preferred mounting location on the Revo 13 was just forward of the rear hatch. I found that this placement did not interfere with my paddling. The great thing about using the track is that you don't have to commit to a fixed mounting location.

I've wondered if anyone had tried it immediately forward of the rear hatch. Your pics in that thread showed just before the forward hatch which would interfer with fishing and immdiately behind the seat which would interfer with paddling. Sounds like those didn't work for you. Just for clarity you do have your ama immediately in front of the rear hatch and prefer that over the other 2 spots. Is the only negative tougher adjustments to it from the seat?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Correct,
Immediately forward of the rear hatch works great. It is not a problem to adjust as it is quite easy to turn around when you have the added stability of the AMAs. For sailing, the up position is optimal. For standing and sight fishing, the down position is the way to go.
Given the curvature of the cockpit, I have found that it is more comfortable to wear shoes when standing. Otherwise, you will have some sore feet at the end of the day. My shoes have a cushioned sole which really seems to help.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks much for the input Mike. That's where I'm gonna mount them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wndrfl wrote:
Correct,
Immediately forward of the rear hatch works great. It is not a problem to adjust as it is quite easy to turn around when you have the added stability of the AMAs. For sailing, the up position is optimal. For standing and sight fishing, the down position is the way to go.
Given the curvature of the cockpit, I have found that it is more comfortable to wear shoes when standing. Otherwise, you will have some sore feet at the end of the day. My shoes have a cushioned sole which really seems to help.

Unless I'm mssing something I can't mount the sidekicks immediately in front of the rear hatch (Revo 11 & 13) using supplied parts. The release button holes in the center shaft are nearly centered where the mounting brackets shoild go. Adjusting the holes in or out throws positioning waaaay off. How did you do it Mike. I suppose I could cut a little off each side of the center shaft and drill new holes. That could get things weak and a little ugly for me to do it.

A piece of that prepainted pipe without holes would work for me. It's a 30mm od with a 1mm wall. Is there a longer length of that that's used for something else I could buy from Hobie parts I wonder? .....and who do I ask that would know?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

....or I can remove a bit from the middle of the center shaft and splice it with a 30mm ID collar. That should work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Joel_T

The Sidekicks don't need to be perfectly centered to work. Just shift the center bar further to the left or right by a few inches. It will work and you won't even notice the difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wndrfl wrote:
Joel_T

The Sidekicks don't need to be perfectly centered to work. Just shift the center bar further to the left or right by a few inches. It will work and you won't even notice the difference.

Thanks for that. That's too easy. :D Meanwhile I can look for a splice collar for in case any OCD kicks in. :mrgreen: