Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

My wife and I are planning on getting a TI, and I've been scouring the forums and soaking up as much as I can - strong work people!

I think I've decided to shoot for the Trailex SUT-350-S for the trailer, but the question I have is those of you that use 3 of the Hobie cradles, how did you get them? The ones I see online are only sold in sets - a larger rear cradle that holds the amas and a smaller one that just holds the boat. The images I've seen like in http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35469 looks like it uses the 3 larger ones. Did you have to buy 3 sets at full price and just not use the smaller ones?

Also for the 3 - 52" trailex crossbars mentioned in the link above, is there any other hardware required to mount them? Any ball park price on what the 3 52" bars and related mounting hardware (if any) would run?

I am also going under the assumption that there is no extra hardware needed to attach the cradles to the crossbars (other than T-Bolts).

Thanks in advance!
-Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Paul,
I think you are getting AI and TI cradles mixed up? What you are describing are the AI cradles.
TI cradles are both the same and support ama and hull. To get the 3 TI cradles I have on my trailer I had to purchase 2 sets. I made a dolly cart out of the 4th cradle.
Adding a third cradle has made sliding the TI on/off the trailer so much simpler.
Can't help with the Trailex question as I'm not familiar with it. It's not available downunder.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For additional support and ease of getting the TI on and off the trailer, I added rollers bow and stern.

The only thing I'd mention is that any time you have any portion of the boat actually sitting on the rollers for transport, it is imperative that you have a positive stop at the bow and a tie-doen at that point so the boat cannot come off the back of the trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Capnmtway and welcome aboard!

If you're going to spend the extra money on an aluminium trailer, then IMO the Trailex SUT-350-S is the best way to go. They've designed a great trailer for these boats and they're a great company to deal with. Some people find that using just 2, TI saddles is adequate, and others like having 3. I used 3 saddles for two basic reasons; support, and ease in launching and retrieving. viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35469

Tom and Stringy are correct, you'll need to order two sets. However having a spare may come in handy down the road. As Tom mentions, a stern roller is mighty helpful and a bow stop too.

Contacting Trailex directly is the best way to get a current price on the Crossbars. I bought my over three years ago but they weren't that much back then. As far as bolting the saddles to the crossbars, you may need to drill the holes slightly larger inside the saddle wells to accommodate the Trailex T-Bolts, I know I did. I also drilled a drain hole in the same area.

Have fun assembling it, take your time and then get out there and start enjoying your new boat :wink:.

BTW, where are you located?

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Try this link instead:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35469

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
For additional support and ease of getting the TI on and off the trailer, I added rollers bow and stern.

I've tried rollers and teflon trailer strip but both caused hull deformation. The 3rd cradle has made loading/unloading so much easier. It keeps the fully assembled TI straight and lines it up for the next cradle. I can slide the TI back, rest it on the rear cradle and insert the cart without any risk of hull deformation or the kayak slipping.
I use a V-Block to support the bow. The stern is supported by the 3rd cradle.
I couldn't go back to just two cradles now! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks All!