Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beach Wheels question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking at picking up a set of beach wheels while traveling to the Southeast US. Looking at renting a car instead of driving my own. I am wondering if the axle is one piece, and if so, how long? It would be nice to take it apart when bringing it back. Also, how easy is it to remove the wheels?

Thanks
Doug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What brand wheels are you getting? For Cattrax, the wheels are pretty easy to remove. You would need to take off at least one of the axle end caps or cradles (un-screw them). The wheels are held in place by large cotter pins. Remove one of the pins, slide off the large washer, and pull the wheel off (the roller bearings will all drop out, so be prepared). The axle is roughly 8 feet long, one piece. If that's too long to fit in the car, one option would be to bring a hack saw with you and cut the axle in half. Then splice it back together when you get home using a piece if 2 inch I.D. aluminum tubing and a couple 1/4-20 bolts. This might sound a little drastic, but its actually how cattrax recommended modifying the wheels to make them adjustable for wider boats.

Rolleez beach wheels use a multi-piece axle held together with quick pins. The wheels are also held to the axle with a cotter pin, but the bearings are in an enclosed race, so even a little bit easier to disassemble than the cattrax.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The hard plastic and the rubber tire wheels both are easy to transport either on the frame of the trailer or even on top of the tramp
I never felt the need to take them apart however after 24 years I will be taking the tires off my Mighty Hobie 21 SE and putting on some new skins
The ropes on the beach wheels make great tie downs
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info on this.

As far as the transportation, I live in Kansas and there aren't a whole lot of beach wheels around here. Since I will be driving to the southeast over Christmas I have arranged to but a set. But I need to get them home somehow. I want to make sure that whatever I get at the rental place, they would fit.

the idea of cutting the axle in half sounds intriguing. I am guessing the axle is hollow tubing, so shouldn't be too much trouble to cut in half.

The wheels are the hobie catrax with balloon wheels.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aye Carumba wrote:
the idea of cutting the axle in half sounds intriguing. I am guessing the axle is hollow tubing, so shouldn't be too much trouble to cut in half.

The cat trax axle is 2" O.D. aluminum tubing (1/8" wall I believe). A sharp hack saw will easily cut through it in under a minute.

If you go to murrays.com and do a search for "axle extender" you will see what I'm talking about. This is just a piece of aluminum pipe used to splice the axle back together. Personally, I wouldn't get the Murrays piece for what you're doing since it's intended to actually extend the axle longer for use on 10 foot wide boats, you will get a lot more pipe than you need. A piece of 8" to 12" long pipe and a couple bolts is all you would need to splice the axle back together to its original length.

In any case, it's an option. Bring a saw along with you and if you can fit the axle in the car without cutting, great. If you can't, chop it and splice back together when you get home.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go to academy sports. They sale foam blocks used for temporary loading kayaks on the roof of your car. You could get this and wrap the axle to your roof.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Doug... The axle is right at 8ft long give or take... As others mentioned the wheels come off pretty easy....

Just get a car with a back seat that will fold down and you should be golden!

I wouldn't cut the axle unless you have to.... If you do.. not a big deal to put back together...

Glad to hear you are picking up a set!

Fleet 297 is going to be ROCKING next year!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Speaking of cutting the axle here is a few pics. This one is on our local craigslist for $50. But it gives you an idea.

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wouldn't cut the pipe axle either.
Though most cars should fit a 8' length of pipe, if you cannot fit the axle in the car through the trunk and back seat. Go to a home center and purchase a 3' length of foam pipe insulation. Cut it in two and use as cushions for tying to the roof. The pipe insulation can be found for 1"-1½" diameter water pipe. It is split and should go around at least half of the pipe. Enough for the job.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all of the replies,
as luck would have it...or not,
while on the East coast I was never able to make contact with the beach wheels owner so in the end I returned home empty.
at least I know what to look for in the future if the opportunity arises again. looks like I just have to back the trailer in again this year. now I have the money for a new tramp, and/or the aussie halyard.

looking forward to spring...come on.

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is a professional piece for dividing and connecting an axle. When assembled, there is no play anywhere. It expands inside the tube. Waterpipes or other stuff will never do.

http://www.cadkat.com/Achsverbinder_50_ ... utsch.html

I'd Rather Regret The Things I Did, Than The Things I Didn't

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="pbekkerh"]Waterpipes or other stuff will never do.
[quote]

That sleeve is pretty, but way overkill for this application, and I'm sure mucho expensive. Splicing a cattrax axle together with round tubing and a couple stainless bolts or clevis pins will work just fine and only cost a couple bucks.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

29euro

I'd Rather Regret The Things I Did, Than The Things I Didn't

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My Tiger Trax (blue, hard plastic wheels) have a 2-piece axle which slides to accommodate different width boats. The middle of the axle is a larger diameter sleeve with multiple holes and locking bolts. I can use it for H18s or H16s, and (with a little modification) even my Wave.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

pbekkerh wrote:
This is a professional piece for dividing and connecting an axle. When assembled, there is no play anywhere. It expands inside the tube. Waterpipes or other stuff will never do.

http://www.cadkat.com/Achsverbinder_50_ ... utsch.html

I've used those on my euro-trax. They have their faults as well. The bolts tend to get seized making them rather permanent. They also are rather big for the 2" .120 wall tubing available here. Not to mention that I spent 20 euros on shipping for the last box of small parts from cad-kat.

The tube splice works just fine, it's not like we are building an F1 car here.

2010 AHPC C2 #218