Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weather Please!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sheesh! Mother Nature please give us a break :evil: It is already twice the previous longest time I have been without sailing my TI. The coldest water temp I have encountered was 39 deg f. I think it has dropped a bit below that now :roll:

I went down to my main launch point this morning and this it what I had to look at:

I forgot my camera so this was taken with an antique cell phone but I think you can tell that our dry suits aren't going to do us much good today :lol:

For those of you where it's warm now, think about this when you break a sweat getting your boat launched!

P.S. In case you can't tell by the low Q pic, that is all ice - the Rehoboth Bay is frozen over save a few spots full of birds.

Post subject: Re: Weather Please!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It has been a good many years since our local lakes have frozen over. But if they did, I'd be in the shop figuring out a way to slap some ice skate blades on my TI. It'd be even faster on ice!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
... I'd be in the shop figuring out a way to slap some ice skate blades on my TI. It'd be even faster on ice!

Wind was 32 MPH sustained when I snapped that pic - fast it would have been!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

yeah i have been hearing about the cold weather back east. we lived in annapolis for 6 years before moving to okinawa japan (where these pics were taken yesterday when i went out). i've been to the rehobeth bay area a few times myself, and it is beautiful. maybe once or twice every other year or so our launching point on the chesapeake bay would freeze like this too. the coldest i ever went out at that time was the first weekend of february in 39 degree air temp with about 15 kt winds. this was somewhat dangerous in retrospect since i was solo and if anything bad happened it would prolly be all over.

well i got to go out yesterday finally after a chilly 60 degree january here. we had our first 70+ day and low winds which made for a rare opportunity of almost completely flat ocean here. pedaled/sailed all the way over to a famous snorkel/dive point called Maeda Point and anchored up while my friend jumped off and did some snorkeling. on the way back the winds were perfect and we actually maintained about 6-8 mph the whole way back i'd say.

the downside to living out this way is that we get about 10-15 typhoons (hurricanes) a year and a least half are pretty damaging with a few being severely violent. our typhoons form in the same area of ocean that the one that hit the phillipines a few months back do. there are about 3 main directions these typhoons take normally and we are in one of the paths with the phillipines being in another. last year was a very mild typhoon season for us, so all the locals are predicting a bad season this year. well i hope they are wrong so i can keep my TI down on the beach some more :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If it means water, in any form, would fall in great heaps from the sky then I would gladly trade our 75f days and clear skies.
We're looking at an historic drought. Marin is already sucking down our emergency reservoir...and so far there is nothing even in the long range.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice pics. So Far, the ocean is not experiencing a drought. I guess just the opposite with global warming. CA seems to be in a pretty precarious position. I hope CA and the rest of the West comes out of this 10-20 yr drought before long. I was out camping this past few days, and it was cold for the area--43 deg F lo, 65 deg F hi. I was dressed for it and life was good.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i feel you herbaldew.......NJ is arctic right now too.....cabin fever has set in :shock: :o .......you in for a meet up this summer?? long beach island will be a frequent spot for me and i wouldn't be shy from hittin up DEL!

Chekika.....i miss the days of being excited about the few days we would get where a sweatshirt was appropriate :mrgreen: :mrgreen: SoFla is the sh*t

-Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chekika wrote:
. CA seems to be in a pretty precarious position. I hope CA and the rest of the West comes out of this 10-20 yr drought before long.

Keith

I have lived here for all but 10 of nearly 50 years a and have never seen the reservoirs so low. It is truly, actually frightening.
Of course Northern CA pumped water down to the southern parasites, and when you look at their reservoir levels they are all full or nearly so, while we have most of the big ones at 20% or less capacity.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://blackburnnews.com/wp-content/upl ... f-Snow.jpg

If you think the weather is bad where you are....try Ontario lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Deepbluesilence wrote:
...you in for a meet up this summer?? long beach island will be a frequent spot for me and i wouldn't be shy from hittin up DEL!-Jeff

I don't know if I'll ever get up that way but I'll let you know if I do and you do the same if you find yourself heading down here.

@yaknewbie - Eww - that makes me feel warmer here lol We had a heatwave yesterday and our 2" of snow melted - back to a forecast high of 20f today with above freezing forecast for the end of the week.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lol thought your weather would be icer! Wish I could enjoy those warm temps without having to drive far. I miss using my yak.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds good! Del bay looks like a fun trip!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know you want to hear this -

Past week over 40 degrees (104 Fahrenheit) most days, no humidity and some good winds.

Perhaps we can give you guys a few degrees from South Australia to make life more comfortable
for all. Unfortunately we have had over 100 bushfires and lost 15 homes. No-one hurt so will
have to just continue sailing the TI. :)

Cheers, Brian in South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I cant ever remember the New York City and Long Island area EVER beeing in the deep freeze we have been experiencing this winter .. mind you, I'm the type who's metabolism can deal with 30* alot better than 90* but it has been in the teens or lower with blowing winds for weeks and weeks now and even I will concede that enough is ENOUGH !!

My only saving grace is that I used to do alot of cold weather camping and I still have most of my gear - I have a Lowe Alpine jacket that is useless above freezing (too darm warm) and I have been using it everyday it seems. Past few winters it maybe came out for a rough day or two ..

.. I don't even want to think what my heating bill will be for this winter but I am MIGHTY glad I locked in to a new contract for heating oil back in August for $3.29/gal :o

(My wife is wearing my above mentioned jacket ...)

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

yeah it is crazy all this different weather we are getting on the planet recently. i think it is awesome that a forum like this exists and i can read the weather from different parts of the world. australia i saw a bunch of those fires being reported on our asian news here but i never thought australia was in asia hmmm :D

i got pretty much all my family in the NE so i hear and see pics of all the snow there. i love snow but not a fan of cold... but i do have some great snow gear myself that i prolly won't use till i move off this tropical island,, i hope.

got a little family in socal and heard those droughts suck, not sure what is going to happen if they run out of water there.