Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seadek kits
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone tell me why the price for the PA 14 kit is 150. and almost all the others are 110.. It looks like the most simple kit out of all of them... Check out the slayer propel kit compared to the PA kit and tell me how they are not just taking advantage.... I want to order a kit, and probably still will, but this is aggravating.

Post subject: Re: Seadek kits
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OVERBOARD wrote:
Can anyone tell me why the price for the PA 14 kit is 150. and almost all the others are 110.. It looks like the most simple kit out of all of them... Check out the slayer propel kit compared to the PA kit and tell me how they are not just taking advantage.... I want to order a kit, and probably still will, but this is aggravating.

I'll take a stab at answering you question since I was the one that got that process started. If you notice the difference between the 2 kits (PA12 and PA14), there is probably a little more surface area covered in the PA14 kit. They patterned if off the custom templates I made for them. I wanted the front area to be more of a single piece versus all the multiple cut up sections.

From a manufacturing standpoint, it's more cost effective for them to make the smaller pieces as they can fit more pieces onto a standard 39 X77 sheet of their material. The only section missing from the PA14 kit versus my complete setup is the piece for the rear cargo area. They did include the rear deck hatch cover.

The front hatch cover on the PA14 covers the whole lid versus being 2 pieces. Keep in mind that the PA14 kit is based on applying it over the black non-slip foot pads. There is enough surface area for the material to adhere to. Those black pads sit in a recessed area on the floor. The PA12 kit supplies the floor pad shaped pieces as part of the kit.

I think the kit is well worth the cost, but wish they would offer other colors. I indicated that the Camel color I used would work fine for the current three PA14 colors.

Good luck with your decision.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is just as much material used in the other kits as there is in the PA kit... and it would look to me that there would also be more waste in the other kits due to the intricate cuts and needing to bring the material square again before starting another piece.. I also think they should offer the rear cargo area as part of the kit.. :?

However, they were nice to deal with and i'm going to pick up a custom kit in the snow camo on black, including the rear cargo area, as soon as I can nail down what graphics I want to add..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OVERBOARD wrote:
There is just as much material used in the other kits as there is in the PA kit... and it would look to me that there would also be more waste in the other kits due to the intricate cuts and needing to bring the material square again before starting another piece.. I also think they should offer the rear cargo area as part of the kit.. :?

However, they were nice to deal with and i'm going to pick up a custom kit in the snow camo on black, including the rear cargo area, as soon as I can nail down what graphics I want to add..

My initial plan was to go with the Snow Camo and black trim. Please posts some shots as I would love to see how they turn out!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So, Aces.... I have the 2012 version of the PAa14...(which is 13' 8"). The SeaDek site says the following...."The fit for this kit has been verified for 2013 & 2014 models but may fit other years."

Would you know whether the 2013 & 2012 have the same dimensions?

BTW....great job & great photos. Thx for all the work & sharing.

SRAces wrote:
OVERBOARD wrote:

I'll take a stab at answering you question since I was the one that got that process started. If you notice the difference between the 2 kits (PA12 and PA14), there is probably a little more surface area covered in the PA14 kit. They patterned if off the custom templates I made for them. I wanted the front area to be more of a single piece versus all the multiple cut up sections.

From a manufacturing standpoint, it's more cost effective for them to make the smaller pieces as they can fit more pieces onto a standard 39 X77 sheet of their material. The only section missing from the PA14 kit versus my complete setup is the piece for the rear cargo area. They did include the rear deck hatch cover.

The front hatch cover on the PA14 covers the whole lid versus being 2 pieces. Keep in mind that the PA14 kit is based on applying it over the black non-slip foot pads. There is enough surface area for the material to adhere to. Those black pads sit in a recessed area on the floor. The PA12 kit supplies the floor pad shaped pieces as part of the kit.

I think the kit is well worth the cost, but wish they would offer other colors. I indicated that the Camel color I used would work fine for the current three PA14 colors.

Good luck with your decision.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
OVERBOARD wrote:

My initial plan was to go with the Snow Camo and black trim. Please posts some shots as I would love to see how they turn out!

Steve.. Thanks for all the hard work in getting the templates produced. I have been surfing the forum here for months until I finally decided to take the plunge and get a PA. I finally dove in and picked up my 2014 PA 14 this past Saturday. The Seadek is one of the first things going in. I have been in contact with Paige this week and am trying to choose the colors now.

I have the Olive PA and would prefer a darker color. Right now looking at either the Mocha or Camel with Army Camo. Supposedly the Army Camo color guide on the website is not accurate at based on some other pics I saw and they will be updating it. Waiting on samples now to help make my decision. Thanks again for the work.......

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just ordered the snow camo w/black trim. They have mutiple colors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Patriot wrote:
So, Aces.... I have the 2012 version of the PAa14...(which is 13' 8"). The SeaDek site says the following...."The fit for this kit has been verified for 2013 & 2014 models but may fit other years."

Would you know whether the 2013 & 2012 have the same dimensions?

BTW....great job & great photos. Thx for all the work & sharing.

SeaDek has the templates and information to do the 2009-2010, 20011-2012 and the 2013-2014 models. I have explained the differences between the 09-10 and 11-12 models in regards the pads to use for the 09-10 models since the rudder control was on the seat.

I had them do a kit for my 2012 PA14. That was an entirely different beast to template. I might send them an adjustment recommendation for the front right pad by the Mirage Drive opening. It could probably use a very small adjustment, but it is very usable as it. It's where the trim edge comes a little close to the opening.

If you want a kit for a 2011-2012 PA14, just contact them and they can make you one. They just haven't put a kit up yet for those years. If they need to contact me for help, tell them to contact me anytime.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Last edited by SRAces on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You really are Aces, Man! Thx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

They are telling me I will have to template the rear cargo area of my 2013 PA 14.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OVERBOARD wrote:
They are telling me I will have to template the rear cargo area of my 2013 PA 14.....

The rear cargo area should be the same on all the models unless I'm wrong. They have the rear cargo area template for the 2013 PA14. That's the first kit I did. I used the same rear cargo area template for the 2012 PA14. Pictures don't lie...lol. Who is telling you that? If you're trying to add the you trying to add the rear cargo area to the PA14 kit they are currently advertising on their website, that might be the confusing factor.

You should not have to template anything for a PA14 in any year if you want your parts made from what I templated.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Last edited by SRAces on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tarheel69 wrote:
SRAces wrote:
OVERBOARD wrote:

Steve.. Thanks for all the hard work in getting the templates produced. I have been surfing the forum here for months until I finally decided to take the plunge and get a PA. I finally dove in and picked up my 2014 PA 14 this past Saturday. The Seadek is one of the first things going in. I have been in contact with Paige this week and am trying to choose the colors now.

I have the Olive PA and would prefer a darker color. Right now looking at either the Mocha or Camel with Army Camo. Supposedly the Army Camo color guide on the website is not accurate at based on some other pics I saw and they will be updating it. Waiting on samples now to help make my decision. Thanks again for the work.......

You're very welcome! Post some pictures when you get it installed. :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Oh no!! I wish I never saw this...Guess what my next purchase will be? My wife is going to kill me!! Come to think of it, she might not know what the inside of my PA looks like. I might be able to sneak this one by her :)

Steve, How do you get the custom graphics? How much did it add to the cost? Thinking about getting the Snow Camo with some sort of Hobie logo.
Thanks. Jeff

Pro Angler 14 in Dune
Jackson 'Cuda 12 in Earth

"There is certainly something in angling that tends to bring serenity to the mind"
Washington Irving

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jeffn777 wrote:
Oh no!! I wish I never saw this...Guess what my next purchase will be? My wife is going to kill me!! Come to think of it, she might not know what the inside of my PA looks like. I might be able to sneak this one by her :)

Steve, How do you get the custom graphics? How much did it add to the cost? Thinking about getting the Snow Camo with some sort of Hobie logo.
Thanks. Jeff

LOL! Sounds like you're identified your next project! The only way you can use the Hobie "H" is to get permission from Hobie. I told the folks at SeaDek they could use the rod/reel and Pro Angler parts for anyone that wants it and to substitute a "12" or a "14" instead of the "H". No need to get my permission.

The SeaDek logo is free. The cost for my custom logo work was $150 and I did the artwork and gave it to them "full size" and in the correct format for their CAD software. I could use the artwork anywhere I wanted on both PA 14s. So based on what I was doing, it was worth it for me ($75 per boat)

I can't give you an idea on the cost of graphics work. Only SeaDek can do that. I'm sure some custom artwork would not run $150 and if it was artwork they already have in their software, I'm sure the cost would be very reasonable.

Was out on the water today and I've had both PAs in fresh and saltwater. The SeaDek material is holding up very well. I'm barefoot 90% of the time and the material is great to walk on!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ordered a set from SeaDek a couple of weeks ago for my dune colored 2014 PA14. I went with Gray over black and thanks to Steve for his permission it will include his artwork. I think he really did a nice job! I did not contact Hobie to get the "H", so my will be a little bit on the Plain Jane side. Hopefully they will be shipping this week so I can get it installed this weekend. I'll post pics once I get it installed. The drawing with dimensions they sent to review all checked out for both the front and rear so I'm anticipating a good fit.