Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Same with me on my trax II cart, I feel it's a poor design, I got tired of having to find my lost tires along the shore so I finished breaking off the rest of the notched end, then filed it smooth. I then put a big washer over the end and used a different type of clip that looks like a cloths pin, never had any problems since.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm (sort of) comforted that it's not just me.

I never had any issues with the Trax 2 cart on my Revo (or A.I.), the problems have just
started with my brand new Trax 2-30 cart.

I've found a relatively simple way of stopping the clips from 'riding-up', that's to loosely
attach a cable-tie to one of the loops of the open-end of the clip. The resistance of
the cable tie seemed to be sufficient to keep the clip in-place. I'm still not happy
though...

Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I posted a reply earlier about my trax 2-30 used it once for 20 feet and lost a wheel, while the dealer that sold me the unit replaced the wheel it still left me unhappy with the lack of instructions of how the wheels work (attach) and the comment that it was not a Hobie problem.

While I love my TI and also all the other Hobie boats that I've owned (still own a 16) and planning to buying a couple more Hobies. AT this time, I will not and do not recommend anyone buy the Trax 2-30 cart. If the company cares about what we think they may want to recall and fix this problem. (at which time i may have a change of heart.)

At this point I would lake to say again, I'm very happy with all my other Hobie products and the Dealer I deal with.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

johnniea wrote:
it still left me unhappy with the lack of instructions of how the wheels work (attach) and the comment that it was not a Hobie problem.

Hopefully you understand that my point was about design and warranty being Wheeleeze issues. It certainly is "our" problem, but resolution is coming from them. We are in contact with them and doing what we can to get to the bottom of it. In addition the point was about getting parts direct... that is just simply logical. Especially when outside the USA. We are always going to help. It's just a longer process.

Wheeleez has documentation about their wheels attached to every tire when delivered, so many lost?

Their site has some good tech support as well: http://www.wheeleez.com/repair.php Choose the "Attaching Twist Lock Knob" tab.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Folks,
I have had a number of close calls when out on the water with the Wheeleeze 30 wheels coming loose and almost going overboard. (I have the cart inverted in the rear scupper holes behind my seat.)
I found exactly the same cause as Mingle - that the stainless steel clip had worked its way up and hence was no longer sitting in the groove in the axle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Would a lubricant on the axle help to keep the retaining clip from catching on the axle? The clip may be getting dry and the friction may be popping the clip up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, it's definitely the clip 'riding-up' out of its slot.

The only cause I can think is that the axle is flexing under the load of the A.I. causing stress
on the clips, pushing them up. Here are a few more pics of the issue/damage caused:

The temporary solution I've found is to attach a small cable-tie to the 'open end' of the clip
(while the twist cap is in place and the wheel is on the cart). No need to pull the cable-tie
tight, just enough to prevent the clip from opening. The twist mechanism still works and
it appears to prevent the problem.

I'm not sure how good a solution it is, as I've no idea how much force is being transferred
to the clip. I guess time will tell.

In the meantime I'll contact my local Hobie dealer (on the recommendation of the local Wheeleez
dealer) to see about a warranty claim on the damage.

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks to Scott Lovig Hobie, I managed to get replacement wheels for the cart (under warranty), but was keen to prevent the problem from occurring again.

This solution isn't ideal, but it's quick, easy and seems to do the trick.

Just thread a small cable-tie through the 'open' end of the retaining clip and tighten it - only loosely, so it doesn't inhibit the twist/release function.

It seems to be all that's needed to prevent the clip from wandering up, out of position.

Time will tell if it works long-term.

Cheers,

Mike.