Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GoPro Advice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

I just received a GoPro3+ for my bday. I'm really looking forward to capturing some video from my Adventure once it warms up around here. Any suggestions on how/where to mount my GoPro? I've seen some people mount it on the end of a pole so they can put enough distance between themselves and the camera to get a third person view. Is there a particular pole out there that's made for this? Also, I've seen all kinds of mounts. Which do you recommend? I'd like to have at least one mount that I can clip/snap on/off quickly for different shots.

Thanks,

Fleet

Post subject: Re: GoPro Advice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like YakAttack for mounting just about everything. Shop around a couple of companies sell the systems.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Ranger. I'll check yakattack out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Diver,

FWIW, my GoPro2 usually rides behind the seat on a YakAttack pole with a Scotty mount on the end that is inserted into a Scotty flush mount with a "custom" backing plate. Like Ranger, my thought too was to keep the mounting of Scotty rod holders, VISIPole, and Panfish pole uniform. I like the Scotty flush mounts for their relative concealment, quick attachment and detachment of items, and lack of obstruction when the yak is loading upside down. Not that YakAttack shows any significant protuberance, just that to me, Scotty seems a little more stout. I have no experience with the YakAttack mounts but a lot of people like them. Maybe the choice of mounts is merely personal preference?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Diver_fcd :
I just used a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe, it's light and cheap (about $3.00), I just jammed one of the mounts that came with the camera into the end ( the swivel mount), drilled a hole thru the side of the pipe and put a small screw in to hold it. The PVC pipe comes in ten ft lengths at home depot, I cut mine between 4 and 5 feet so you will have enough material for two poles, works great.
I put one of the GoPro decals that came with the camera onto the side of the pipe so it looks professional (LOL).
I've been looking around for telescoping poles, but have not found anything that would hold up in salt water.
For now I just hold the pole in my hand, I've been looking around for some type of rod holder type mount that I can adapt for the pole.
I also thought about mounting a vertical pole (probably just a standard fishing rod in the standard rod holder on the boat) near the back of the boat, then adding some sort of kite on a tether that I can deploy using possibly a fishing rod and reel while underway sailing. I love the wide angle lens on the GoPro with the camera above and behind I hope my 3rd person movies of me sailing will be more interesting with me in the frame vs just looking thru the lens via a helmet mount. The raw video can be zoomed and panned in post processing manually with the go-pro software. Most of us who live in salt water already have salt fishing poles, and rod holders in our boats anyway, I just thought it might be a good marriage combining them with my gopro's by adding a kite (the gull wing type kite would be very simple, pre set to a fixed angle to start out. If I can get it to work well and it gives me good video, I will look into some sort of WIFI swivel tilt and pan mount if they aren't too expensive (otherwise I will have to make my own using an old RC radio and controller that I have laying around). I'm also thinking about making a helium blimp (just a home made mylar bag shaped to look like a blimp filled with helium or hydrogen (hydrogen you can make yourself and is way cheaper (as long as your careful with it) and tethered to the fishing pole. A full RC blimp would be really cool as well, though I think most people are using quad rotor RC copters these days (would be pretty expensive to lose in the water though, I like the blimp or kite on a tether idea better).
Fun stuff to play with, have fun with your gopro
Bob

We are divers and I plan to use the pole and gopro to scope out dive spots before wasting our time going down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ooh I like that blimp idea!

I am going to Home Depot to look at telescoping painter's poles to see if there is anything I like. If not, I'll go with the PVC idea.
Either of these poles can be wrapped with foam at the handle to build up the thickness and then stuck in a rod holder. I intend to try this this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all of the good feedback. I am def going to try the painters pole first. I'll see how that turns out and go from there.

Also, has anyone tried controlling their gopro via wifi remote or app while it's submerged? Does the water interfere with the signal?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng:

Your pvc pipe will fit a Scotty mount. Did that before I had the bucks to buy the YakAttack pole. It's just a friction fit but is quite snug. Probably appropriate to attach a leash for security somehow. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been using the Greenfish CPR camera mount for my GOPRO3 plugged into a Scotty mount on my Adventure. Mounted on the rail just behind the seat it gave a nice view & was very quickly adjustable to reposition the camera angle. However I just found it's broken recently so I shopped around & found that Ram Mounts came out with a flexible camera arm, Ram Flex Arm, last year & so I ordered one last night as it looks stronger than the Greenfish CPR. The Ram part number is RAP-B-200-1-114P-18U in case you're interested in checking it out. Since it's only 18" long I also ordered an Adapt a Post 15" extension pole to bring the total length to 33" which is what the Greenfish length is. Although I can't recommend the Greenfish because it broke, & didn't last as long as I had hoped, here's the link for it in case you want to check it out anyway.

http://greenfishmovement.com/shop/cpr-mount/