Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Been taking my son with me on my PA14 and he sits on a bucket behind me. I had a thought however....what if I got a light weight seat, mounted it on a pole that slipped into the front sail mast holder and had 2 legs in the back to support his weight? The seat would need to be just high enough so my feet could go underneath when peddling. Has anyone ever tried such a thing?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting idea. You'd just have to be careful that you didn't sit him up so high that the overall center of gravity went too high, putting you in danger of flipping. The seat will have to be up a bit to clear your feet and pedals.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Would it be better to have him in a seat behind you? I don't know that I would want all the extra weight forward which might make the PA porpoise into waves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It doesn't seem like there is enough room between the mirage drive and the front compartment for a seat plus your son's legs....for clearance to peddle?

I would suggest a seat in the rear. I've had my 6'3" son in the back of my PA14....no problem when the waves aren't too bad. We've never come close to rolling the PA over but haven't taken any chances. It's a matter of finding some sort of seat or something else that is fairly stable behind you for him to sit on. Obviously make sure you both are wearing life jackets and you know what to do if your PA rolls! PA14's are a little tough to roll back over so you may want to practice this before trusting hauling your son around in the back!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jims....can you post a pic of your PA with the seat in the back? My son is only 10 so still under 100 lbs.

My plan would have him face forward and his feet would rest on the foward hatch. I let him ride it by himself and saw the front end really sits higher then the back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hmm. So I heard a story of my mom hooking my grandpa in the face when they were younger with a back cast. She was in the front seat of the boat, he was in the back.

Put the kid in the back, lol. Unless he's the next KVD. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Why not have him sit on a cooler behind you?

Military Police, USAR SFC

Broward County Florida

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No one said it so I will be the bad guy. The PA is rated for 1 person. Anything other than that could invite a ticket from law enforcement.
Sorry but I had to say it.
Jim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, Hobie says the kayak is rated to one person but according to the Coast Guard regulations I think the number should be 4 people if the rated weight capacity is 600 pounds. Check regulation Part 183, Subpart C, 183.43(b), should be (600*.9+35)/141. I don't think the Coast Guard can issue a violation for capacity if you have two people onboard.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not sure about the coast guard. Here in Arkansas, (I'm sure each state is different)
The AGFC guide book, page 33, chapter 3, Boat Capacity. "Loading a vessel beyond its stated safe carrying capacity is illegal".
:-(
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A Cooler strapped down on the rear deck works out great, I take my nephew out and he can sit on it and he holds on to the back of the seat. When we are anchored he's close enough to me that if he needs help with his gear I'm able to assist.
We're sitting there and he hooks up with a Porgy and when he gets it in he yells out " It's Nemo" (from the Little Mermaid movie)

Have Fun
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think if you are obviously overloaded you could have a problem with the LEO's. Three grown men in a PA, you're asking for trouble. I've had the 10 yr old granddaughter in the fwd hatch (I take the front cover off) and my 6 year old grandaughter on the back cargo area of my Revo, both wearing PFD's of course, and had the wildlife guys stop me just to shoot the breeze.... never said a word. one granddaughter likes the rear though cuz she can tinkle and the scuppers wash it out...., the other too prissy to even consider anything like that. Of course this isn't anywhere there's rough water or strong current...