Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There's a guy in Charlestown ,RI Tim Sammon who has the same style setup but he pulls it up into his pickup bed, he has two levels, leaving room under the kayak for his gear and the kayak is level with the rear window.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went with the pipe system as well. We can haul 3 hobies or 2 hobies on the top and fill the bottom with up to 3 additional kayaks plus gear.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Reyesm275 wrote:
Where did you get your trailer made and if you don't mind saying how much was it?

I just realized I forgot to answer your question regarding the trailer. I looked around at used dual jet ski trailers. Found a few that looked workable, but by the time I found them, they were sold or too far away to go after. The Malone and Trailex trailers made for kayaks run anywhere from $1300 to $2000 from what I have seen. They sit higher off the ground than I wanted. My neighbor has a custom made aluminum trailer that a gentleman down in Gainsville, Florida makes. The neighbor's setup is a stacked setup (one over the other...single wide) style. The gentleman that makes the custom trailers also makes side-by-sides. He quoted price was a little too high for me.

Since I wasn't finding a good used trailer that I liked, I convinced the "commander-in chief" to buy a new one.

The one I have is made by Aluma. 5-year warranty. Weighs a little over 200 lbs. Easy to move by hand. It's a PWC 2 model. Most are selling at trailer dealers for an average of $1600. I got mine for $1379. Hard to turn that price down. While I do have a bed extender, I rarely use it anymore. The 2 PAs stay on the trailer for storage in the garage and I keep the 2012 secured with a good security cable and lock. That way when I go by myself I just rig up the 2013 and go. The height is perfect for just sliding it off the back into the water at the ramp. I have yet to put the trailer in the water and float off the PAs like a regular boat.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How are you guys attaching the pipes to the crossbars? Anybody doing it in a way that is easily removable?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

using heavy duty zip ties. Just drilled a couple of holes through one side of the pipe and then thread the zip tie through and around the cross bar. So far so good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hulapopper wrote:
using heavy duty zip ties. Just drilled a couple of holes through one side of the pipe and then thread the zip tie through and around the cross bar. So far so good.

Awesome, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is my set up, seems to work well so far. Easy to load and pretty cheap with the Harbor freight trailer. This is the 3" pvc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use a pair of the Hobie cradles mounted on a SportRig Micro trailer to carry (& store) my PA12 along with the Revo 11 that sit's on Malone Downloader J-racks.

So far, so good..... :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEc5_pf9VIA

Here's how we did the PVC racks for our PA's. Hope it's helpful to someone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know this is an old thread, but how are the zip ties holding uo?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are Hobie cradles that fit the PA hull very well. You can find some pictures on the forum of those. I use the PVC pipes in the 3 inch size. I used them when I made the storage racks in the garage as like folks say, they will flex slightly and conform to the 2 ridge lines on the bottom of the hole where the scuppers line up. So when I picked up the new trailer, I re-used the same 2 sets of PVC on the trailer.

If you use the PVC on a trailer, be sure to round the edges on the ends with a sander so there are no sharp edges. Some folks even glue carpet to the PVC. I might eventually do that as well. If I do not put the trailer in the water, I just set the front of the PA on the back and the walk around and lift the stern. It slides on with ease and is lower than the tailgate height.

Good luck with your project. Post some pictures when it's completed.

Image[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys! I'm picking up a PA14 next week and decided to use PVC bunks, too. Can anyone confirm the gap between the two pipes? I saw 10 1/2" but want to verify...? I'd like to have the trailer set to go as it's a 3 hour ride from home and I'd hate to have to adjust the pipes at the shop. THanks in advance!