Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Services were held today for Terry Stetson Wilson. She was 64.

Terry was an avid fisherwoman, but her real passion was children's education. She loved to help people, and she brought a smile to the face of everyone she met. She was a real enthusiast for the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge. Terry loved to be on the beach in Ft Desoto the first Saturday of March to see everyone off. Then she would go over to her home on Ana Maria Island to wave and shout encouragement to the competitors as they passed.

She had recently acquired a Hobie Adventure Island, and we were planning many camping trips. We will have to postpone them for the time being.

She will be deeply missed.

Toby Nipper (aka WaterTribe Whitecaps) and I will be planning a memorial camping trip to Cape Romano, where she first camped with us. Tentative dates are Mar 14-16, 2014.

You can see a little story I wrote about her at http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=420

Keith

Terry Stetson Wilson

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My God, Keith, that is so sad. Terry posted on this thread only last month. As it happens, just a couple of days ago I was telling my wife about her account of being knocked out of the boat by an Eagle Ray. I gather that whatever caused her demise, it was relatively brief, thank goodness.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

:( Reminds you to live each day to its fullest. RIP Terry.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChrisJ, I believe she died of a heart attack. It was a shock to us all.

Matt, you are spot on. Toby Nipper said it right: "Every trip you do not make is one you will never be able to do again, think about it."

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a shock!
Very sad. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My heart is deeply saddened by this news. I really enjoyed reading her posts and your story about her.

My condolences Keith .. losing a friend is never easy but all to much a part of life.

Fair winds and smooth seas Terry

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, it is very sad. My wife and I are headed over to Ft Desoto, south of St Petersburg, FL, tomorrow for the start of the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge (Saturday, Mar 1). It will be at once a time to think of Terry and a joyous time as another epic race starts.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith:
So sorry to hear of your friend's passing. These times remind us that none of us are even guaranteed the rest of this day, so make the most of every day we have left. I'm not that much older than you said Terry was, and the older I get the more I see the beauty of living life to the fullest.
Rest in peace Terry. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.

Heroes don't wear capes; they wear dog tags

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am deeply shocked at this sad news. I only know Terry from your accounts as well as her always cheerful posts on the forum, but she seemed to be embracing life with both hands.

Please pass on my condolences to her family if you get the opportunity.

Tony Stott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:20 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Wow, what an unfortunate shock! Keith, thanks for posting this. Her AI was only a recent chapter in her Hobie fishing and sailing experience. Starting with an Outback in 2005, she moved to a Revolution when they came out the next year, and eventually her Hobie Adventure several years ago. A pioneer in many ways, he was highly regarded for her skill by the local fishing and kayaking community, never timid about trying new things (one of the early adopters of Turbofins for example), always positive and outgoing with others and independently capable,

IMO, she was an exemplary person who appeared to live an adventurous and full life; she will be missed by many!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Terry's daughter Linzy here. As the proud brand new co-owner of a TI, I knew it was time to join the forum. Plus, someone had to carry on my mom's crazy posts. : )

This thread just brought a lot of tears to my eyes. I truly appreciate all of the nice things each of you said. The past few months have been the toughest of my life but it's comforting to see just how many lives my mom touched.

I plan to have a fishing tournament or memorial paddle of some sort in memory of Mom likely in the Fall. I hope each of you can join!

Thank you again,

~Linzy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Linzy! :)
Your Mum was an inspiration to many, including myself, and though I had never met her, I had been following her exploits over the last 8 years or so on various kayaking/fishing forums.
Great to see you following in her footsteps with your new TI and be sure to post here of any adventures you have down the track. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Linzy - glad you found us and posted. Like others, I never had the fortune to meet your Mom but she was a great inspiration to us all here on the boards.

Please post info on when you plan to have a memorial "Terry's Day" - perhaps we can all join in from where ever we are around the globe and post in our pictures of that days' sail/kayak outing celebrating her wonderful spirit

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Lnzy! That is a top idea Bob. Count me in.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great idea, Linzy. Depending on when it is held, we may be in the Rockies, Miami, or even Germany, so Passwind's suggestion of each of us posting our results from wherever lets everyone be involved.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon