Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Hobie Sailor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everybody, I'm new to Hobie ownership. I just bought an H14T. I'm looking for good places to launch around Lake Lavon or Lake Ray Hubbard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping for a good staging area since I've never actually rigged a Hobie before so I'm quite sure the first time will be pretty interesting, lol.

I plan on sailing solo mostly, but will occasionally be taking my daughter or a friend or two out. I did a lot of reading and know that the 14 won't be all that fast under heavy weights but it looked like a lot of folks have had great times with them even overweight and just get out and about. The previous owner was saying that he sometimes took as many as 4 folks out with him but the plan there was to be cruising with a nice cold one and not really doing much more than puttering around the lake. I had thought about a 16, but the price and condition on the 14 was just too great. Just about have a spare everything. I can't wait to get her on the water, even thinking about taking her out next weekend and just trying really, really hard not to flip. We'll see.

Post subject: Re: New Hobie Sailor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a 14 turbo about six months ago and taught myself to rig and sail it. Here's what I've learned and recommend:

The boat is like a motorcycle, fast and lots of fun, yet easy to get in trouble. It's very weight sensitive - if you don't move to counterbalance the tipping moment of the sails it will capsize in seconds. I managed to do that in moderate winds more than once.

Sailing solo means you'll need a means to call for help when you inevitably go over. Buy a waterproof container for your cell phone and keys that can be latched to your PFD or tramp.

Stay away from bridges, esp. in light winds. Tidal currents can be strong. If you get pushed under, this is an especially unpleasant way to capsize.

Stepping the mast is risky if done alone. The hardest part is getting it up on your shoulder. Watch the Youtube videos for hints. Bouncing it helps. Use a line attached to the jibstay, looped around a trailer and secured to the cleat at the mast base. This way you can reach down with one hand to grab the line while holding the mast up with the other, draw the line tight to temporarily secure the mast, then step down to pin the jibstay to the bridles/jib spool. The whole process is easier when done off the trailer.

Lowering the mast can also be a challenge. The mast base will break where the pin passes thru if the mast isn't lowered gently and directly aft. The base doesn't have enough cast aluminum material to withstand much force, but it's easily replaced with a couple of rivets.

Join a club where there are other sailors to help you with everything. Preferably join one that offers mast-up dry storage. It'll save you at least an hour per outing.

Last edited by John from Tampa on Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks John, I plan on taking it easy. I talked to a buddy and I think this weekend I'll meet him at his lake for help with rigging. He has a pontoon boat so I think we're going to use that as a platform/rescue boat of sorts. I'll need to pick up a wetsuit even with trying not to flip her. The air temp is supposed to be upper 60's, maybe lower 70's but water temp is below 50 and the odds are good I'll get to experience that firsthand. I'll be sailing pretty conservatively this weekend. I've sailed the Hobie wave a number of times on vacation but most of my experience is with mono-hulls. Eventually I'll get a nice sized mono-hull, but have had so much fun on the cats I've sailed. I decided this would be a great way to keep sailing without going beyond my financial capabilities.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will be amazed at the speed/power difference between the 14 and a Wave. Especially if you get some decent wind!
I had a Wave 1st. Then got a 14. Then upgraded to a 16 for better 2 person-ability. They are all a blast!