Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a demo Hobie Revolution 13 from a dealer out of province while being on vacation and took it for its first ride yesterday on calm water on a lake. After about 4 hours of paddling I noticed there was about 2' of water inside the hull. Is this normal? I thought the hull is supposed to be water tights. I inspected the entire hull for cracks or holes and I couldn't see anything obvious. The water on the lake was calm like glass. I have a Ocean Kayak trident 13 and never had water accumulate inside the hull.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are the drain plug seats clean and tight......not missing an o-ring?
Was the stern very low to the water so water came in through the rudder line holes?
Lastly, suggest checking this post viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12575

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The back end of the kayak wasn't deep in water! Also the seat has the plug and they are nice and clean and it actually has the plugs. No water went over the bow it was like sailing on glass! The only place I can think water might be ingress is where the mirrage drive goes in. This boat was a dealer demo. It has lots of wear and scratches on the side of the hole in the hull where the mirrage drive sits in. The outer hull is mint no dents holes or big scratches and no cracks that I could find! I am very worried because I only owned this boat for a week and water ingress like this on first sale on calm water is pretty scarry! I always though Hobie were the best out there and this is why I purchased my Revolution 13. I have been saving my $ for a couple years now for one! I am now kind of disappointed and hearth broken! I have a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 and never had water inside like this!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dr.SteelheadCatcher was referring to the O-ring at the stern of the kayak. It's used for draining the kayak. Another thing to consider is launching the kayak at a steep angle (although that should not result in 2" of water.

I would take it to the Hobie dealer and have them check it out. If they find nothing and you have the problem again, insist they file a warranty claim.

Good luck. Look forward to hearing positive results.

Last edited by Wndrfl on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Can you place the yak on a rack, dry the bottom of the hull and put some water inside a hatch to see if it leaks from the hull?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will put it on a rack today and try to put some water inside to see if it leeks out! I will also try this viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12575

I purshased my kayak in Ontario while up there and I now home in Tantallon, NS and we don't have a Hobie dealer near by. I honestly suspect the hole where the mirrage drive goes in because it has lots of wear there and few scratches mostlikely from the store doing demo on it.

Thanks for the help and suggestion its much appreciated! hopefully find and rectify this issue soon!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I pressurized the hull and used a mixture of soap and water as per instruction and found the leak! My suspicion was right! Its is coming from the side walls of the opening for the mirrage drive that leeaks! That place is pretty tight spot to try to fixed by plastic welding! Is there a trick to fix inside a tight spot like this! it seems to be were the seem of the molding is and in a couple of deep scratches in a few spot mostlikely caused by the dealer demoing the installation of the drive. You can see lots of huge soap bubble for by it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Take it to the dealer and file a warranty claim. Demos do have warranties.
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44141

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can't believe that the dealer who sold you the demo wasn't aware of the leak :shock: You should give them a call and let them know what has happened.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You definitely need to work with the dealer about this. Do not try to repair yourself. If purchased from a dealer you get a 2 yr warranty on your boat (from the date of purchase). If you take good picture and discribe the circumstances (basically they sold you a boat with a hole in it (which in my opinion wasn't kosher , they should have checked it).
Basically there is nothing you can do on your own, everything is thru the dealer.
Hobie stands behind their product like no other company.
I had a similar situation where my hull failed right in front of the dealer at a beach (economy tackle, sarasota fl ) where he happened to be doing a demo that day. He got on the phone and a new hull was on the truck the same day. When the new hull came in a week or so later, I took my boat to the dealer, where they transferred everything to the new hull, we were on our way in about an hour.
Because of my positive experiences with Hobie kayaks ( we have owned 7 or 8 now), I would never buy anything else.
Ps once the warranty claim was filed on mine, and the new hull was on its way, I was able to temporarily repair the hole (with gorilla tape) and still use my boat until the replacement arrived (those little details like this, re-enforces my extreme loyalty to Hobies products)
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The issues is I purshased it in another province while on vacation. Its a two day drive to the dealer. I am gone be contacting Hobie via phone and the dealer today. I don't think its the dealers fault these things do happend!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You buy a demo from a dealer and the first time you take it out it fills with water........ come on now. The Dealer had to be aware of this problem.

Hard for someone to lie to you when looking you straight in the eye. Two days away and over the phone, all I can do is wish you the very best of luck in resolving this issue. Feeling for you.