Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Would appreciate some help with setting up a trailer I am getting ready to order.

Just bought two new boats, an Outback and a Revo 11. After spending many hours online, and having previously had Thule roof racks, we decided first on a trailer vs racks, and then on the Malone Micro Sport trailer. Have read lots of reviews, youtube posts, etc, but most of them are for sea boats and not Hobies, or focused on either hull design or weight.

Some questions I would appreciate help with:

a. Experiences using a Hobie and a trailer for transport, especially long distances. Any lessons learned to share?
b. J Racks, Seawing racks, or flat on the crossbars?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My sister and I both own 2013 Revo 11's and have transported them many times on our Malone MicroSport trailer. We have the 65" bars on our trailer and use Malone J Bars which we used when we car topped our Tarpon 100's. We also have a kayak stacker in the middle of the trailer since we usually have a friend or two go kayaking with us.

We regularly go kayaking about 30 miles from home, but have made many 100 mile trips with the 2 Hobies. We also have a 2013 Outfitter that we purchased from a dealer who was about 225 miles away from our home in SC. We do hear a vibration when we are at around 65 mph, but most of the time, we're driving below that speed, and you don't even know that there's a trailer behind your vehicle. We're very satisfied with the trailer.

I will try to post some pictures. Enjoy your new kayaks and trailer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had a cargo trailer that I wanted to work as a multi-purpose trailer, not just dedicate to kayaks or hauling misc , so I built a box that I could easily slide in and out and was secure for all the gear I was carrying. Larger tires run very nicely on the interstates, and incorporate J racks and cross bars. Storage fwd and rear.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the pics and info. Have to love those storage boxes too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The one thing I would change on all the set ups is to have bow an stern tie lines added to the yaks. Sudden stops or loose tie downs will help to keep the yaks from slidding forward or backwards. If they slip at 60 MPH and hit the pavement you won't have much of a yak left, and you will be at fault if you cause an accident.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thinwater skinner wrote:
The one thing I would change on all the set ups is to have bow an stern tie lines added to the yaks. Sudden stops or loose tie downs will help to keep the yaks from slidding forward or backwards. If they slip at 60 MPH and hit the pavement you won't have much of a yak left, and you will be at fault if you cause an accident.

Yep, the setup you see in my backyard is NOT how I tow. This was a set up just for photos. I have a bow/stern line from each boat and I stop every so often to check my lashings. I also use flags on the rear of the kayaks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Another option instead of a bow and stern strap is to run a strap through a scupper or the drive well. That way it's not just a compression/friction hold down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a good deal pending on a Yakima Rack and Roll trailer, with Yakima J racks. Malone is the second choice but we will see if this pans out at the price proposed.

Thanks again for the input and help.