Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What is "best" :D

On my boat (2013 H16) I run the Port and Starboard Jib sheet lines separately. I am looking for preferably Red on the Port side and Blue on the Starboard (making things easier for my crew and this would match the setup/look)

I want something I can taper so the same line can be used to operate the traveler on each side.. Or.. Something which can be spliced to the smaller line.

I LOVE my salsa Main sheet... and the more wear it gets the better it seem to work so what I am looking for is something which will be as comfortable to control and as well behaved laying on the tramp.

Is anyone using New England Eundra braid? I like that it doesn't absorb water.. and don't think I need the extra weight to "snap" uncleat...

Can I get away with 5/16 to make it easier on the crew and still have it roll through the blocks smoothly? Or go with 1/4?

And thinking about New England Vectra V-100 for the aussie halyard.. I don't like whatever line that came with the boat new as it seems like it would slip in the Cleat setup.. and Last year was just "finish line" Any thoughts on that.. Wanting very very little stretch with good ability to make fine adjustments and held well by a cam cleat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I run bzzz line on all my boats. 8mm Main sheet on the 16 and 17 Jib sheet for the 20. I use 7mm for my 16 jib. I also run one set of main blocks with the 7 mm for light wind. Works great.
http://www.apsltd.com/c-1593-buzz-new-england.aspx
love it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have bzzz on my jib sheet as well. I really like it. Not sure the size though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The problem I have with bzzz for my application is that it is a single braid, and difficult to splice.

I had been leaning towards the Enduro or Maffioli something along those lines :lol: because the double braid with a UV resistant core will let me taper for the travel and possibly the jib blocks... 8)

But without being able to see/feel/touch ect... you know.. I don't mind spending good money on good stuff.. but don't want to speend good money on the wrong stuff..

Edit... Nevermind..

Class rules won't allow tapered sheets? Not sure why?

But does tapering for the purpose of the traveler line really count as tapering... As I don't think tying a fishermans Knot and operating the travel from the Jib sheet has ever been protested as tapering even though the line made continuous via the knot serves the same purpose as tapering??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

3/16 V-100 (new england) on the way for the aussie halyard..

and 7mm Maffioli Swiftcord on the way for jib sheet.. I ain't sure I am going to like really "light" jib sheet, but I am going to have to try it to know for sure... :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My swiftcord showed up yesterday. I am quite pleased! I Had no trouble yesterday uncleating it full loaded from any position on the boat (testing in the yard), and it is very soft and easy to hold.