Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New or Used PA14
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are the Vantage seat and other design upgrades worth the price of buying new versus a used, well-kept 2011 model for <$2k? I've already gone through the contemplation of PA versus Outback and research clearly indicates I will kick my own rear if I don't go the PA - although I want to want the Outback. The only difference on my end between new and used, is how much longer it will take to save up. Thoughts?

My specs:
6'1" 225
80% freshwater (crappie, bream, bass, cats)
20% salt (tampa bay) - although this may increase in the near future as I may be moving closer to the area

Thanks for the input!

Post subject: Re: New or Used PA14
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tundah wrote:
Are the Vantage seat and other design upgrades worth the price of buying new versus a used, well-kept 2011 model for <$2k? I've already gone through the contemplation of PA versus Outback and research clearly indicates I will kick my own rear if I don't go the PA - although I want to want the Outback. The only difference on my end between new and used, is how much longer it will take to save up. Thoughts?

My specs:
6'1" 225
20% salt (tampa bay) - although this may increase in the near future as I may be moving closer to the area

Thanks for the input!

When I was ready for my first PA, I had the same thoughts you have. First thought is why you aren't looking for a good, used current model with the Vantage seat. They go fast, but I see used ones advertised fairly often. You might have to travel a bit to acquire one, but it might be worth it. Now, that being said, I was overly anxious to get out there fishing, so I bought a used PA-14. I loved every trip I made in it. Then along came a deal I couldn't resist, so I bought a new PA-12, mainly for my son and grandson to use. Being a good guy, I tried it out first :D to be sure it was good and safe for them! The Vantage seat sold me immediately, so I began wheeling and dealing for a new PA-14 and then sold my older one. Honestly, there is nothing wrong with the older boat if you insure the rear scuppers have been reinforced, but I never did like the seat and had already started modifying it. If you go with the older one, go to your dealer and purchase a set of stainless steel buckles for the strap before the plastic ones break. You won't be disappointed in the older boat, and it will get you fishing much sooner. Then you can still save up and get the new one later on if you still want it...or find a good used deal on a later model with the Vantage seat. Or, for about $75 you can get a seat riser/extender that makes the older seat much more comfortable, especially for a taller person. My brother mounted a padded boat seat in his. The older boat won't lose much value, so it gives you some time to work towards a new one without losing any money on the deal. In my opinion, the upgrades are worth the higher price, but I value my fishing time greatly and wouldn't want to miss out on any of it if I don't have to. Good luck and good fishing!

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tundah wrote:

My specs:
6'1" 225

Thanks for the input!

Might sell mine PM me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Police, USAR SFC

Broward County Florida

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I prefer the older seat design, but that's just me. If you can access, you might trying sitting in one. You may find the Vantage seat isn't what you want. Or it may well be. Only one way to find out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Appreciate the input all. I won't be ready to pull the trigger until June so have some time to think about it and maybe find one with the older seat style to check out. I'll just have to suffer 2 months in my bass boat! :P I am leaning towards new, only downside is will take longer to accessorize, but its more than fishable out of the box.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tundah wrote:

My specs:
6'1" 225

Thanks for the input!

I actually know a person down on pine island that has both styles for sale..she's a dealer up here In Jersey and doesn't want to drag them home. Both boats are in great shape..I fished out of both a few weeks back

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I pulled the trigger today and went with a brand new dune PA 14 so there will be no possibility of regrets. The dealer made me a heck of a deal on a new one and threw in some wheels and a truck bed extender.

Gonna probably go with the Lowrance Elite 4 HDI and make a few trips to plan out my rod holder situation - otherwise it will likely be a minimalist rigging approach for the freshwater action I'm doing, mainly spider rigging for crappie.