Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Main sheet traveler
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a newbie hobie 16 driver, anyways I was out in some lighter winds trying to pinch as close to the wind as possible to make a mark and it seemed as though bringing the main sheet traveler upwind of centerline gave me more power and speed. i thought i had misrigged the traveler as it really only seems to allow for downwind to centerline positioning unless you manually hold it in place. I have since checked a number of other 16's and they all seemed rigged the same as mine. Is there a reason not to position the traveler upwind or maybe it's just my imagination that i was sailing better with it there.

your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you! I was wondering the same thing over on the Getaway forum, and even posted to other cat forums. I was told by several people that know a lot more about cats than me that bringing the traveler upwind is pointless. The only reason I asked is that I've been doing it on monohulls for years. I don't think it was your imagination. Basically, it just makes the boat think it's sailing more off the wind than it really is. I may even go so far as to rig something to pull the traveler to weather. Of course, that's my opinion, I could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I tried that on my friend's Sunfish yesterday and it didn't seem very effective. I heeled over more but it seemed like I was going more slowly. So I dunno, but you think it'll speed up on the H16? Hm. Just seemed like the wind was pushing backwards on the sail. I dunno.