Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another newbie here!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all! So I am new to this. I'm about to pick up a hobie 16 tomorrow and wanted to know what equipment I will need and should have starting off. Life jacket, throwable, whistle, and??? I have sailed a friends 18 with him before so I am familiar with them but this will be my first one. Also I read that I don't need a license for it correct? Only registration?

Post subject: Re: Another newbie here!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Welcome Newbie! We were all new once and now we are all addicts. You will have a load of fun on that 16. The 16 is one of the best boats ever built and has such a strong fleet. Parts can be found everywhere.

For your list of needs, you are correct on the items you listed. Get comfortable life vests that allow free movement of your arms like kayakers use and make sure they are Coast Guard approved. The cheap ones at Wal-Mart are just that, cheap and rub in all the wrong places.

Add trap harness(s) to the list. They come in all sizes and shapes (and prices). Each person has a reason they like theirs, so much so we could fill this forum about it. As a skipper, I like a short "diaper" with my crew having a full over the shoulder harness. The type of connection to your trap wires will be key as there are a few different types out there. The simple hook is the most prevelent and probably what your boat has. Check out Murrays Marine (http://www.murrays.com/) or your local Hobie/Cat dealer to see what they have. It is always best to see them in person.

Sailing gloves will save your hands and are also a must. Murrays/West Marine or your local sailing center should have a few different ones to choose from.

I am a cold water sailor so I also have a wet suit, spray top, booties, and a hat. The hat goes everywhere with me for protection from the sun. Speaking of sun, don't forget your sun block, get it water proof.

On the 16 I don't wear knees pads but I sure do on the 17, but many sailors do use them on the 16.

I like a little parts bag that I can connect to the tramp to hold extra drain plugs, rudder pins, a couple beers, and extra pins with rings. Cuz things happen.

The list can go on so the best thing you can do is go sailing then go to a Hobie regatta and talk up the other sailors as they will gladly help you.

No license required to have this much fun. Ah, the Hobie life is grand.

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hollisatp1 - If you're a guy, get a crotchless trap suit. If you're a girl, it shouldn't matter.
If your boat is new, you should be okay. If not, have someone go over the boat with you to check for soft spots on the hulls, wear on the bottom, all wires and anchor bolts.
Where do you live. Perhaps someone on this forum can help you find a Hobie Fleet, Hobie Dealer, and/or a Hobie Regatta.
One of the best things about owning a Hobie Cat is that you can get plenty of help - in person, or on this Hobie Forum.
Be safe and have fun!
Welcome & good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also carry a paddle. The one I have is plastic and pliable enough to thread into the lacing of the tramp. Make sure you have a righting line. I have read where you could use the main sheet but that wouldn't be too easy to do. I also like to wear booties or wading shoes. Consider carrying some spare parts and tools. Rudder cams, pins, shackles, and mast bearings are all good to have. Bring a first aid kit just in case. And silly as it sounds, I always cut my fingernails before I sail. I have bent back a nail more than once.

On the rudder cams, check your boat to see if the rivets that held the cams on originally were replaced with screws. If not, you need the new screws with the cams and a way to drill out of punch out the old rivets to replace the cams. I had one break at the beach and had to find a dealer nearby to get new cams and had a lot of trouble getting the old rivet out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the info so far. I live in Huntington Beach ca. With the boat today I got a storage bin, harnes, short, 3 life vests, one tramp cover, a roller for the beach, extra pins for the mast and a beat to hell trailer. All this for $300. Hulls are ok except a repair that has failed under the front inside the tramp pole frame thing that connects to the hull. (Proper verbiage to be gained in time so please don't fault me) I bought the boat knowing this and figured IF this was not able to be repaired again then at least I could part it out and easily triple my initial $300. How hard is it to fix a 5 inch slice in the hull? It looks like the repair was a 6 by 6 section. I'm saying this by the paint job over it. The guy was a friend of a friend and when asked if I could repair it he said yes easily. I do have the rivets still in the rudders and am having an issue locking them down. The cams do not currently move, which they should right?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I take a roll-up tool pouch to the beach every trip. In it are a couple open/box end and adjustable wrenches, needle nose and channel lock pliers, phillips and slot screwdrivers, a marine knife with marlin spike and electrical tape. Obviously you don't take all this to sea. On the boat I have a knife, shackle tool and SPF chapstick. Some people I know never bring tools to the beach and want to borrow mine. Don't be one of those guys.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hollisatp1 wrote:
Hulls are ok except a repair that has failed under the front inside the tramp pole frame thing that connects to the hull. (Proper verbiage to be gained in time so please don't fault me) I bought the boat knowing this and figured IF this was not able to be repaired again then at least I could part it out and easily triple my initial $300. How hard is it to fix a 5 inch slice in the hull? It looks like the repair was a 6 by 6 section. I'm saying this by the paint job over it. The guy was a friend of a friend and when asked if I could repair it he said yes easily.

That sounds like a loose pylon (tramp pole frame thing) shoe....it has to be repaired from the inside (through a port) before repairing the outside. Otherwise, the pylon will just break through any outer repair again. Not an easy fix.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16836&p=88521&hilit=shoe#p88521

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hollisatp1 - One of our kids lives in Huntington Beach. There is a beach launch area just north of you in Long Beach, but Mission Bay in San Diego is much easier to launch from, and safer for you to learn and gain experience. We have a Hobie Dealer here who is very experienced and knowledgable. Ron Lane from Fast Lane Sailing & Kayaking. [email protected] 1-(619)222-0766. 2590 Ingraham St., S.D. 92109. He can either do some repairs, or show you how to do the repairs yourself, or send you to someone who can do more extensive repairs. Call first before you go to make certain that he'll be there. The store is always open, but he and his wife sometimes go on vacation. Have him check your wires & anchor bolts, also. New cams for your rudders are inexpensive and easy to install.
You should also show up at the San Diego Classic Regatta at Bayside Park in Chula Vista (San Diego Bay). Very large Hobie Cat Regatta. Contact either Ross Tyler - [email protected] (619)549-5306 or Scott & Leslie Wentworth - [email protected] ((619)857-6886.
Once you get your boat in good working condition you might consider joining Hobie Fleet Four. I believe that would be the nearest Hobie Fleet to you. We've had whale watching with our Hobies, sailing and kayaking at Otay Lake and a fun day of sailing at Mission Bay. Great food too. It's regatta season now, so we're taking a break from fleet activities. Joining a Hobie Fleet will enrich your Hobie experience and going to a Hobie Regatta will increase your knowledge about your boat and how to sail it. Ask Ross, Scott or Leslie about crewing for someone at the Classic and about joining Fleet Four.
Welcome!
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok. Looking into the crack I opened it up to get a better look. It seems that it is from the foot. I can see foam inside. Is this something that can be repaired at a reasonable cost? Again I only paid $300 for everything. I would love for someone to tell me also how to post a pic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hollisatp1 wrote:
Ok. Looking into the crack I opened it up to get a better look. It seems that it is from the foot. I can see foam inside. Is this something that can be repaired at a reasonable cost? Again I only paid $300 for everything. I would love for someone to tell me also how to post a pic.

I'd be looking for better hulls...even if you have to buy a whole boat, make one out of the two, and try to recoup some of the cash selling off unwanted spare parts.

Cams should rotate. If they are in the locked down position, stick a flat screwdriver between the cam and dome shaped plunger, and pry them up. If they won't move in the up position, they need a total overhaul. FAQ on rudders: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=467

FAQ on posting pics: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

I highly recommend that you find some local knowledge to help you and spend some time perusing the FAQs and Support sections of this site before deciding what to do with this boat. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try to get some pics.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah I cannot figure out how to post a pic. Can someone guide me on yah at?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok. Talking with a bunch of people it seemed that the hull was not going to be any good. Again I bought it for $300. I just sold it for $150 but I kept all the rigging, trapeze wires, boom and tackle, trampoline and cover, 2 harnesses, 3 life vests, utility bag, rudders and rudder handle assembly, beach roller. So now on the hunt for another boat!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd say the easiest way to post pics is to use a free photo sharing website and just post the link. I've been using photobucket.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Or, the easiest way to post pictures is to download Tapatalk on your smart phone. It is VERY easy to post pictures that way.